Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Lightweight 14x17 Build

Lachlan 717

Re: A Lightweight 14x17 Build

Quote Originally Posted by pjd View Post
    Do you make the springs yourself? Any tips on DIY springs, or sources for parts would be gratefully received. I'm in the process of making an 8x10 back together and hope to make a 10x12 back later on, springs are a sticking point for me. I've read elsewhere here that old hacksaw blades are a good option, but your brass springs look very good.
    Windscreen wiper arms.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Nice work, but I wonder why you haven't used quarter-sawn wood.

Alan

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pjd View Post
    Do you make the springs yourself? Any tips on DIY springs, or sources for parts would be gratefully received. I'm in the process of making an 8x10 back together and hope to make a 10x12 back later on, springs are a sticking point for me. I've read elsewhere here that old hacksaw blades are a good option, but your brass springs look very good.
    Peter, I have a set of springs and the shackles left over from another build or shall I say an extra pair so I'll use those. I also will reinforce these with some stainless steel feeler gauge steel from McMaster Carr It is part number ST-31. It is .031 gage and works great for springs. I have the 1/2" wide material. Hacksaw blade look cheap I feel but will work. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by aclark View Post
    Nice work, but I wonder why you haven't used quarter-sawn wood.

Alan
    Alan, thanks. I have 30 year old Walnut stock that I'm using and it was selected for its beautiful color, grain and quality. It machines beautifully and is very stable. I've built seven cameras to date and have never seen the need to use all quarter sawn wood. When I have had it in my stock I have used it in selected locations but I have never used all quarter sawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Alan, thanks. I have 30 year old Walnut stock that I'm using and it was selected for its beautiful color, grain and quality. It machines beautifully and is very stable. I've built seven cameras to date and have never seen the need to use all quarter sawn wood. When I have had it in my stock I have used it in selected locations but I have never used all quarter sawn.
    Thanks Jim. I'm guessing your wood is Black Walnut. (I have only used English Walnut, here in the UK) I looked it upon the Wood Database and see there's not much difference between radial and tangential shrinkage, hence your comment that it is very stable. I agree that the non radial cut wood looks very attractive, and can see why you go for it. Good luck with it!

I've built a few cameras out of European Lime. This is a lightweight wood that is actually stiffer along the grain than Honduras Mahogany, European Oak, Ash, and maple etc. So it makes a very light weight camera. It also a quality that guitar makers call high damping. It dampens down vibrations; very useful in a wooden camera. It's also very stable and delightfully easy to work. Only one problem. It is a pale colour, with featureless grain. Nowhere near as good to look at as your Walnut!

Alan

Jim, did you change the design, or just narrow the width of the wood pieces? Luis

Thanks Jim. I'm guessing your wood is Black Walnut. (I have only used English Walnut, here in the UK) I looked it upon the Wood Database and see there's not much difference between radial and tangential shrinkage, hence your comment that it is very stable. I agree that the non radial cut wood looks very attractive, and can see why you go for it. Good luck with it!

I've built a few cameras out of European Lime. This is a lightweight wood that is actually stiffer along the grain than Honduras Mahogany, European Oak, Ash, and maple etc. So it makes a very light weight camera. It also a quality that guitar makers call high damping. It dampens down vibrations; very useful in a wooden camera. It's also very stable and delightfully easy to work. Only one problem. It is a pale colour, with featureless grain. Nowhere near as good to look at as your Walnut!

Alan
    Alan, thanks for the information. Nice to know this about the wood. I don't go that deep into my research on Walnut. I've built so many things with the Black Walnut stock I've had over the years. Not only the cameras but some furniture as well. I had a supplier in the Los Angeles area of California that has been in business since 1910 and has suppliers who date back to the late 1800's. Their Walnut stock was the best I've ever come across. I partially filled a container with 8/4, 4/4. 12/4 9" boards when we moved to Washington state. The look of the finished wood is awesome. I do a special French Polish kind of finish on all of my work. It comes out nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Jim, did you change the design, or just narrow the width of the wood pieces? Luis

Luis, I found some areas where I could save some weight. As some of you know I'm friends with everyone at Chamonix Cameras and I have most of the black aluminum parts for the camera along with the lead screw for the extension. So the aluminum saves weight. Plus this is a 14x17 whereas my other camera could do 20x24 horizontal if I built a back for it. Hence further weight savings. I'm using the Chamonix design as I find it very useful in the field. The camera will be very solid and stable I feel.

Jim, it sounds like that Black Walnut is giving you exactly what you want.

Just looked at your website. I do like your tree pictures.

Alan

Jim, it sounds like that Black Walnut is giving you exactly what you want.

Just looked at your website. I do like your tree pictures.

Alan
    Alan, thanks.