Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which non-Sinar compendium will fit on a Sinar P front standard ?

Which non-Sinar compendium will fit on a Sinar P front standard ?

I already have a Sinar Compendium hood like this one. However I am looking for something with a hinge so that it can can be swung upwards for easy access to the lens.

I mistakenly purchased a used Toyo standard (which has a hinge), hoping it would screw into the slot along the top of my Sinar P front standard. It does not fit.

Would a Horseman - or some other brand - firmly attach to the top of a Sinar P front standard and provide a hinged movement ?

Drew Wiley

Re: Which non-Sinar compendium will fit on a Sinar P front standard ?

I'd keep the Sinar compendium and just get a hinge machined, or jerry-rig something comparably suitable, either in the hex rod section itself, or using by sliding a couple of small machine screws into the top of the standard slot and installing an adapter. I personally don't like the idea of adding extra torque to the top itself, though it might be OK with a P or X standard, not an F. You could also contemplate a swing-down compendium instead, using the Sinar rod joint device.

I am hoping to find something basically interchangeable, just as we find with certain lens boards that are supported by more than 1 manufacturer.

Drew Wiley

Hard to say, unless the compendium is mounted via step ring to the lens itself, not my favorite way. Horseman and Sinar bellows are certainly interchangeable, but not lensboards. It's just that every time I run into this kind of problem, it seems to take less than half an hour in the shop to solve it. But I tend to collect and stash all kinds of oddities to make these kinds of project easy. Just a month ago, sorting out a bucket of such junk, I ran into a cute little clamp designed to attach a camera to the head of an ice axe. Something like that could potentially work. And on for my two folder view cameras, I have shades connected to swivel/flip attachment modified from something cannibalized from drafting equipment. Works great, but I haven't located any more of these. Some outfit like SK Grimes or especially Glennview, with all his own Sinar components, is equipped to make something custom. The easiest home shop method, provided one has an elementary drill press, would use two machine screws in the top slot of the front standard, head downwards, to attach a subsidiary wood or metal bar or strip capable of accepting a small stainless hinge (Sagatsune, also known as Lamp brand, has all kinds of these).

Probably around 1990?, I adapted an Arca-Swiss bellows lens hood to the front standard of an 8x10 Sinar P. Unfortunately don't have any pictures of the adaption, and all I remember is that Arca-Swiss bellows lens hood swung back 180 degrees to be upside down over the Sinar's bellows. Took an evening to construct with hand tools and worked fine for years. So it can be done.

One of the issues with the Sinar compendium design is that you have to slide a hexagonal rod through a hole and tighten the screw.

My camera is probably 40 years old. I've put some lubricant around the screw and the whole process is more convenient, but it sure would be nice if the whole thing flipped away.

I usually just pull the bellows forward from the back when I need to get at the lens

You can always mount the compendium on an F front standard/multipurpose standard that uses the lift-off rail clip. There’s no need for the rear of the compendium to extend behind the front edge of the barrel.

Rick “who has a couple of multipurpose standards for stuff like this” Denney

Drew Wiley

I don't understand the fuss. It takes me about two seconds to either slide in or remove the hex rod along with the entire compendium. A tad of filing or sanding will remove any little burrs, bumps, corrosion, or other age issues affecting the rod and its clamp. And replacement hex rods are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    sure would be nice if the whole thing flipped away.[/IMG]
    Can certainly be done. In the 1980s, when corporate money paid for that modification, we had it fabricated for our P. In practice worked out terribly in my opinion. Maybe the modification was at fault?