Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Figuring out exposure when the meter ISO setting doesn't go low enough

Re: Figuring out exposure when the meter ISO setting doesn't go low enough

Hi Jason, thanks for the info. We are really enjoying your plates that we got from Freestyle. You are doing good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Larry the rule of thumb I’ve used for my plates is add 50% time beyond 45 seconds and double the time above 2 minutes.

To be honest Kent probably has better working knowledge nowadays with my plates than I do and can tell you better... Between work, coating and testing plates, kids, and shooting slide film for the fall colors, I haven’t found a lot of time to shoot my own plates outside of characterization exposures..and my exposure times are typically only a few seconds where reciprocity isn’t an issue.

Cheers,
    Jason

For a while, I've been shooting a mix of digital, "normal" film and slow stuff like Harman direct positive (I shoot it around ISO 1.5) and paper negatives (ISO 3-6). I normally use ISO 100 for the film so that's what the meter (and digicam) is set at most of the time.
    To help with the conversion for slow materials, I just jotted down a quick table of ISO 100 vs 1.5 shutter speed equivalents in the range that one encounters in usual ambient lighting. I keep this cheat sheet clipped to the viewing hood of my Crown Graphic. Personally, I find this less accident prone than dialing meter ISO back and forth all the time.
    I guess one could design these cards neatly on a computer, add little "sun and cloud" reminder marks for sunny-16, include reciprocity failure correction, print and laminate... but a five minute job with a pen and ruler will go a long way.

Thanks Steve. If I recall, the Luna Pro takes mercury batteries which I think are no longer available? Am I remembering that correctly? I like the idea for sure, and if I can get an analog meter to use for the dry plate exposures, that would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    If you do this a lot, the Gossen Luna Pro series of meter goes down to very low ISO settings, so a good meter for that range...

Note that the needle models used an obsolete battery, but conversions are available...

Steve K

The Gossen LunaPro has (or had) an official, 'drop-in', adapter which took two silver cells and was fairly cheap. I have one in my meter now. About five years ago Gossen stopped maintaining and rebuilding the LunaPro, so if a secondhand example needs some work I don't know where one would send it these days. The film-speed dial is marked down to ISO 0.8 and up to ISO 25000, which covers a useful range! The LunaPro spot-meter adapter gives views of 15 and 7.5 degrees, which might not be small enough for super-precise metering but helps somewhat.

Edited to add: The meters with black body mouldings are more recent than the model with grey plastic. None are new, so individual condition is probably more important than age.

George at QLM in Hollywood services them, and I think has the conversion parts...

There is also the LED readout Luna Lux SBC model that avoids the service step...

Steve K

I like my Luna Pro too. I got one of the battery adapters when they did the calibration, but I have also heard there is no longer factory service available. You can always stack a couple of CRIS adapters and send to Quality Light Metric to calibrate.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Hi Jason, thanks for the info. We are really enjoying your plates that we got from Freestyle. You are doing good work!
    Thank you for the kind words. I'm really happy that folks like you are enjoying them... it is such a cool medium.

Cheers,
    Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com