Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 100/105mm "tweener" lenses for 4x5/6x12?

Re: 100/105mm "tweener" lenses for 4x5/6x12?

No disagreement. Every one of us should read this http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic-bullet.html at least once a year.

On the flip-side, those who like to say that new tools won't make better images, still are not very helpful to those looking for general information. Yes, it's true to an extent, but doesn't really help those who know they need a specific tool for a specific image. No one berates someone for buying a screwdriver when all they have is a hammer, but needs to screw something together.

But yes, extremely rare/expensive lenses will not make "better" images than cheaper, more available options that are close enough. Some may have preferences, especially for lenses they already own and perhaps found for $5 in the junk bin back before they were cult items. I certainly don't often suggest APO Lanthar lenses, despite owning 3. In fact, coming back on-topic, I have a 10.5cm APO Lanthar that is a great lens for 6x9, if you shoot in that range a lot, but is really too pricey to suggest for general usage...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I have a 100mm F5.6 Symmar in a barrel and it's 6x9cm at best. But a very sweet little lens!
    I have used the Apo-Symmar 100/5.6 on 6x12cm with excellent results right out to the corners, even when printed big.........

Thanks, Phil...it does seem to be a lens with a great reputation.

At any rate, as a longtime flyfisherman, I'm intimately acquainted with GAS (though alas not yet quite immune...) Hopefully my experience of being quite happy bashing about on mountain streams with an $50 glass Fenwick will influence my LF purchases--if I can only avoid the equivalent of casting an original Payne...pre-embargo bamboo still makes my palms itch.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Carsten, must you be so cruel? VIIbs in shutter are very uncommon and not inexpensive, WA Dagors are cult lenses and priced accordingly and f/6.8 WA Raptars longer than than 90 mm are scarce.
    True, Dan :-) ... none are too common these days. I actually tried to fit the little Cooke into a Copal #0, but it is so small and the front and rear lens groups barely clear the shutterblades; so I ended up getting SKGrimes to just front mount that into a Copal #1.

I had a cheap ex-Polaroid 114mm f4.5 Wollensak (Tessar type) briefly as well, it was nice and bright on the GG and would do 6x12 and 4x5" (barely).
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Not mentioned and not as often seen; 4" Dagor, 105mm Cooke Series VIIb, 110mm Boyer Beryl. All occasionally found in shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Not mentioned and not as often seen; 4" Dagor, 105mm Cooke Series VIIb, 110mm Boyer Beryl. All occasionally found in shutter.
    Jim, must you be so mean? You should know better than to suggest unobtanium.

Cheers,

Dan