Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 100/105mm "tweener" lenses for 4x5/6x12?

Re: 100/105mm "tweener" lenses for 4x5/6x12?

I have a 100mm F5.6 Symmar in a barrel and it's 6x9cm at best. But a very sweet little lens!
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    But a very sweet little lens!
    Thanks, Daniel--that's great info...if it covered 6x12, I'd still be sorely tempted. Of course, the Arca-Swiss and Linhof Teknikardan 6x9's are sexy in their own right...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Kumar, thanks for reminding us of Topcor lenses for Horseman cameras. I've always ignored them because they're not really for other cameras. They typically come mounted on Horseman boards with the flash terminal and cable release socket on the board, not on the shutter, so aren't easily used on cameras that don't accept Horseman boards. But for Horseman cameras ...
    Horseman to Linhof adapters are available.

Kumar

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

If you need small and you're happy with vintage, also look into those lenses as alternatives: Cooke VIIb (I had a 108mm f6.5), Goerz 108mm WA Dagor, Wolly WA Raptar (mine is a 103.7mm f6.8)....good enough for 5x7", but possibly not quite as resolving as modern glass and you get slightly more muted colors and contrast. Really nice lenses though, although I never became real friends with the Goerz, as I was in my "color" phase at the time.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

The "6x9" Topcor/Horseman SUPER 120mm/5.6 has full 4x5 coverage without movement. I used that lens on my Horseman FA for a while until I got a 'proper' 4x5 lens and it worked fine. It is pretty compact, maybe it folds in the camera, but I always carry mine in the bag unfolded. Of the "6x9" lenses, that one has the widest coverage; it has more coverage than the much larger 105mm SUPER f4.5. The 105mm Super f4.5 is as big as a 'proper' 4x5 lens, so not much advantage to seeking that lens if you don't already have it for 6x9 work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-img640x480-1533109416koaabb189886.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	183332

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    If you need small and you're happy with vintage, also look into those lenses as alternatives: Cooke VIIb (I had a 108mm f6.5), Goerz 108mm WA Dagor, Wolly WA Raptar (mine is a 103.7mm f6.8)....good enough for 5x7", but possibly not quite as resolving as modern glass and you get slightly more muted colors and contrast. Really nice lenses though, although I never became real friends with the Goerz, as I was in my "color" phase at the time.
    Carsten, must you be so cruel? VIIbs in shutter are very uncommon and not inexpensive, WA Dagors are cult lenses and priced accordingly and f/6.8 WA Raptars longer than than 90 mm are scarce.

Carsten, must you be so cruel?
    Oh, I'm finding enough cruelty to go around on this board already... Thanks for the additional options, everyone!

LFF was not this way years ago. LFF has definitely changed in many ways in recent times for a host of reasons.
    -Suggest reading post and topics from one decade ago or more, then compare the post and topics to LFF today

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Oh, I'm finding enough cruelty to go around on this board already... Thanks for the additional options, everyone!

Bernice, as long as I've been here helpful posters have suggested that people with small budgets will be pleased by unobtanium.

-Which will not likely aid in their interest or passion for making expressive images.

Goes back to the GAS syndrome where the belief that some magical-mystical techno-widget will produce images that are the answer to their idealized creation. All tools-methods of creation have innate limitations, more often than not, it is better to work within the limitations of what the tools-methods to achieve 80-90% of the goal rather than try for 100% or 151+% of what is possible. Learning what these limitations are and accepting them is a significant aspect of resolving this conflict.

Reality -vs- fantasy.

Bernice

Bernice, as long as I've been here helpful posters have suggested that people with small budgets will be pleased by unobtanium.