Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Field Etiquette

Field Etiquette

Yep, they sound like familiar scenarios. I had a T-shirt printed with the the following on the back so that people could read it while I am under the focussing cloth.
    1. Just because I can't see you doesn't mean I can't hear you.
    2. Yes, I am taking a photo.
    3. No, it isn't Digital.
    4. I'll know when I get the film back.
    and then in very small print, way down the bottom and purely due to the frustration in having missed so many shots due to feeling obliged to join in or answer inane questions about why was I using my Grandfathers camera etc
    "now p*ss off"

4x5 Camera Toting Tourist Nitish Kanabar's Avatar

Field Etiquette

I guess it really depends upon the people around you and their level of awareness (or lack thereof).

Apart from the usual observations and queries (does it shoot color? it is digital? But it looks upside down!) and the occasional thumbs-up, I've had two interesting experiences when shooting LF:

Mather Point, Grand Canyon. I arrived here before sunrise only to find more people than I expected. One 35mm photographer had taken up prime location and was eyeing my LF kit with unconcealed curiosity and amusement. We both had similar shots in mind - only problem was that he was in my shot and he knew it. To my surprise, he came up to me and offered to swap places. Said "I'll use the center column to raise my camera so that your gear won't obstruct my view, if you go a bit lower so you don't obstruct my view!". I thanked him and we both took our photographs with a smile on our faces.

Baker Beach, San Francisco. I was photographing the Golden Gate bridge at sunset with a group of 4 other photographers - all of us pointing in the same direction. There are large rocks in the foreground and the bridge in the background. To our dismay, a person walked past us upto the rocks, took off all his clothes and proceeded to stand statue-like on one of the rocks - there was no composition where that clown wasn't in the frame. Talk about being a wilful subject and unwilling photgraphers.
    Nitish Kanabar

Field Etiquette

Scientists must have discovered that Ansel set up HIS tripod at that exact spot 55 years ago according to steller data. That explains the host of LF'ers. You didn't want that shot anyways. Funny, I never have that problem around Tonopah.