Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Troubleshooting devopment

Re: Troubleshooting devopment

Hi steve,

I admit not folowing all your post in detail, but did you try as a start to go the "regular" way, ie expose your Tmax 100 (if that is the film you use) at say 80 ASA, develop in XTtol 1:1 and take it from there (or any other established and proven combination), and that go to more demanding routines ?

Good luck,

Cor

This was not demanding, straight forward development in Tmax developer, stop bath, fixxer, hypoclear, rinse for 10 minutes then photoflo, hang to dry. Have not used xtol developer. I would have used 2-bath pyrocat, but I was short changed 20ml of developer A.

In talking with the inventor of the sp-445, he believes the streaking is possibly leftover anti-halation layer. If that is case, couldn't film be rinsed again to remove? If pre soaking, would it be better to provide a vigorous agitation during pre soak and, perhaps, to repeat two or three times? Otherwise, no pre soak if not required and provide a vigorous final wash/rinse? This is of course using the sp-445.

Has anyone else had this with different daylight tanks? I wouldn't expect it to be an issue with tray processing.

Will update when I here back from Tim at Stearman.

Steven,

The streaking from left-over anti-halation dyes seems to be a problem with the older SP-445 tanks. There are several threads about it either here or over on Photrio (former APUG). If it's just dye that didn't get rinsed off, a simple wash in a tray with some agitation should do the trick. If development were affected by the ribs touching the film, then you may have some development artifacts.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

I have had problems with the SP-445 tank, insert version 2, where the center rib touches the back of the film. Sometimes there is a streak that does not clear well during fixing when fixed in tank, and I have to remove the film from the insert and refix briefly to get it to clear. But I have never seen anything like these streaks. I am interested in the way the one is the first posted image seems to break the edge of the rebate, which suggested to me something in camera, but since we have dismissed this . . . There are wiser and more experienced heads here, but this has been my experience. Hope it helps. Bill
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

It could be the ribs, I have version 3 holders. Not camera for sure, I did check that. And it only happens with bw film.