Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting devopment

Re: Troubleshooting devopment

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    oh, okay. Basically, just put in a film holder, insert in camera, no lens, open a shutter or lift a cover real quick then develop?.

I also have a thought I am going to try as well. I am going to develop the first 4 like I typically do in the sp-445. The dry it and do the next 4. I am starting to suspect that some how, I am not getting the sp-445 completely dry and then water drips down on the second batch, so I will compare first batch to second batch.

Could it be air bubbles in the mixture from not rotating the sp-445 properly? I rotate slowly in 1 direction for half the initial agitation period, then rotate 90 degrees for second half. I then, rotate as scheduled rotating sp-445 90 degrees for next rotation.

Should I rinse between developer and stop bath and fixer and hypoclear Massive Dev app does not indicate to do so when I use it? Would photoflo help to be added to developer? Just throwing out things. Going to start with what you have suggested to eliminate the obvious things (that may also be the culpret)
    You might find it helpful to figure out at what step the problem is introduced.

First just eliminate all steps related to image capture, IE everything before development. No camera, no lens, no film holders. Just the film.

Also, eliminate the tank. Don't use the tank at first: see if the problem lies with the film itself, or how you handle the film. If the problem still appears with tray development, you know it's not the tank, it's the film or your handling of the film.

If the problem disappears with tray development, you know the problem appears later in the process: how you put the film into the tank, the tank itself, etc.

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    You might find it helpful to figure out at what step the problem is introduced.

First just eliminate all steps related to image capture, IE everything before development. No camera, no lens, no film holders. Just the film.

Also, eliminate the tank. Don't use the tank at first: see if the problem lies with the film itself, or how you handle the film. If the problem still appears with tray development, you know it's not the tank, it's the film or your handling of the film.

If the problem disappears with tray development, you know the problem appears later in the process: how you put the film into the tank, the tank itself, etc.

Best of luck
    Roger that!

I presume the posted image is a print? If so, it has evidence of dust on the negative or the glass carrier. Try cleaning those items with compressed air or a brush and see if it improves the situation. With the negative in the glass holder, hold it nearly parallel to rays of light from a lamp, and any residual dust will show. If you are printing with a condenser enlarger and glass carrier, sometimes getting good at print spotting is the only solution and you may need a different setup.

How is the film oriented in the developing tank? Sometimes developer pouring onto the film can create similar looking defects. Depends on how the developer impinged the film during pouring, speed of pouring and concentration of the developer.

that photo looks cropped. can u show entire sheet ?

also, Photo Flo in developer ? I've never done that and thought most avoided that, as it introduces long lasting bubbles into the equation.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    that photo looks cropped. can u show entire sheet ?

also, Photo Flo in developer ? I've never done that and thought most avoided that, as it introduces long lasting bubbles into the equation.
    It is used in the 2-bath pyrocat in developer A.

I am using the sp-445, so I would assume that pouring shouldn't be an issue, but could be wrong. Something I will check out.

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    How is the film oriented in the developing tank? Sometimes developer pouring onto the film can create similar looking defects. Depends on how the developer impinged the film during pouring, speed of pouring and concentration of the developer.

Film is emulsion side out inserted in the sp-445, then into the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I presume the posted image is a print? If so, it has evidence of dust on the negative or the glass carrier. Try cleaning those items with compressed air or a brush and see if it improves the situation. With the negative in the glass holder, hold it nearly parallel to rays of light from a lamp, and any residual dust will show. If you are printing with a condenser enlarger and glass carrier, sometimes getting good at print spotting is the only solution and you may need a different setup.
    The image is of negative. Just out on light board and snapped with iPhone. So didn't clean it at all if dirt and dust.

Here is an iphone shot of affected frame. See white line on left and line on upper right. Looks like a waterline or something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BADA56FD-BAC5-4FF4-B0F1-42B02B6B3CA5.jpg  

This second frame of same scene. Developed at same time on same holder emulsion side out. They were back to back one on each side of holder. there is a line at top middle to right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CC4673C9-CADD-4822-A004-999367A8F183.jpg