Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod recommendations?

Re: Tripod recommendations?

Sorry i started this......no i'n not the chips will fall where they will. But this works in both directions we have a friend whose son moved to Japan to teach english and word has come back that some ladies there are eyeing him for their daughters. When i posted that it was sort of tongue in cheek but we do do most everything together.
    joe

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    Sorry i started this......no i'n not the chips will fall where they will. But this works in both directions we have a friend whose son moved to Japan to teach english and word has come back that some ladies there are eyeing him for their daughters. When i posted that it was sort of tongue in cheek but we do do most everything together.
    joe
    I showed this to my wife and she didn't find anything offensive here. She did say that we live in sensitive times today. Comedian Jerry Seinfeld said that he will no longer appear at colleges due to all the political correctness and someone always getting offended. Other comedians are doing the same.

https://ew.com/article/2015/06/08/je...lege-campuses/

I was going to go on a rant, but no good would come of it, all I can do is shake my head and think it is so sad the world we live in these days. Better to just think it than say it, there is always someone who wants to jump down your throat. Get more sun, you will grow a thicker skin!!

...always so interesting seeing how these threads evolve!

Relative to saltwater exposure - as a convert to CF tripods (Gitzo for LF...Feisol for MF/lightweight LF) who also does quite a bit of mucking about in salt water with these - my only concern is that this equipment lasts as long as whatever time I have left (turning 64 this month). When caught out by a large wave recently...with myself and equipment thoroughly soaked - I simply took a swig from my water bottle, emptied the rest onto my equipment (a fresh water bath to help mitigate corrosive effects of salt), and continued shooting.

Cole Weston got caught by large waves on a regular basis (big, California surf mind you)...and would usually keep shooting despite this. When he returned home, he'd take the lens off of his Green Monster and hose everything off, inside and out!

Hi John,

having recently relocated to California, salt water resistance or at least the ability to function is important, as is snow and ice. I will always of course rinse/wash the gear off, but sometimes that may take a few hours to do.

Les

Have a Feisol for tall folk (6yrs) and have been using with Nikkor 400/3.5 monstrocity, light 5x7 and everything in between. Prefer a 3-legged sticks (more sturdy). Instead buying lighter for travel, etc etc, I pack and insulate with clothes (in a duffle bag) and always meets me at the end of a journey. Do like the fact that is less than 5lbs and this thing has been through many beaches, sands, various terrains or waters - no issues. I think, if one uses "proper technique" even more humble rig would do.

Les

Thank you and your wife Alan.
    joe

Anyway back to the original topic, does anyone have anything good/bad/experience with my Bogen/Manfrotto 3036 that i'm using with the calumet C1?

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    Anyway back to the original topic, does anyone have anything good/bad/experience with my Bogen/Manfrotto 3036 that i'm using with the calumet C1?
    I've never used one myself. A quick search showed a load limit of 26.5 pounds. A C1 weighs any where from 14 to 18 lbs plus what ever lens shutter combination you have on it. My concern would be extending the center column. Anytime a center column is extended the camera is more prone to vibrations.

As for the other matter, you are most welcome. If you reread the thread you will see I was in the thick of it. As you wisely say, now back to the original topic.

After watching sales and doing some more research, I ended up with a Novoflex Triopod kit (apex, carbon fiber legs, small mini legs for tabletop use) as well as an extra apex (the Triopod PRO75). Extremely well made, very light, can't wait to get the camera set up and take it out to shoot. The two apexes will allow me to use the smaller one for lighter cameras, and the large one (like a Gitzo 5 series) for heavier gear, or when I need to stabilize a long lens.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice, it's truly appreciated!