Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod recommendations?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Tripod recommendations?

I have a Gitzo from 1993 that is nice, but a bit heavy and with limited height.

Figured it was about time to find a modern tripod good for the next 25 years.

I'd like something light (e.g. carbon fiber), stable, supported (spare parts if/when needed), rugged (wind, snow, ice, salt water, etc). Load will be a Rollei 6008 MF rig, and probably a LF rig once I get that far (something appropriate for either field cameras, or a monorail that's light enough to take into the field). I'm guessing 10kg or so would probably be a good minimum load rating. As far as height, 150cm (59") minimum. I don't want a center column, just a spider on which to mount a ball head.

I've narrowed it down to either:
    Gitzo Systematic line
    Novoflex TrioPod/TrioPod PRO75
    RSS TFC-24 Mk. 2

and wanted to ask for suggestions and experiences here from other users.

Pros, cons, things you would want different today? Any other brands/models I might want to check out? This is for general purpose.

Thanks!

Re: Tripod recommendations?

Berelbach, Linhof but the Novoflex is one hell of a system. It can take table top legs or either the aluminum or CF legs, comes apart to fit in all types of cases and can support a ton of weight.
    Just be aware, it can be bought in pieces so you can get variations with or without a column and with 3 or 4 legs! I used the 4 leg Quadropod.

Hi Bob,

thanks for the quick reply. Berlebach are beautiful, but wooden (heavy, difficult to carry on hikes), Linhof are typically German engineered, but also larger, heavier, and not designed for light weight and long treks.

To be more specific, I've noted many times in my photographic endeavors that I should have had a tripod, but often left the old Gitzo at home because it was too heavy, big and bulky to carry. I often regretted it and was limited in what I could shoot, although I'm sure my back thanked me!

So I'm specifically looking for something lightweight and portable (as in I can put a strap on the top and bottom end, throw it over my shoulder and not have a cow, potentially carrying it around for hours on end).

The Novoflex looks amazing, I agree. Why did you choose the 4 legged Quadropod over the traditional TrioPod models? Would you do the same today?

I'd also look at FLM if you have not already.

http://www.flmcanada.com/contact.html

Ari showed me one and I was impressed. You can contact Ari at FLM Canada if you want additional information. He is the North American distributer. Ari is a great guy and also a member here. I'm a Ries guy myself but a Ries is not something that you would be interested in.

Also, if you are looking for a head, FLM has ball heads with locks so you can control each axis separately. Pretty neat!

Thanks Alan,

I'll contact Ari and ask more about their offerings. The website shows all models have a center column, maybe they make one without.

Ries are beautiful, but something quite different from what I'm looking for as you said.

I can't say enough good things about my lightweight CF FLM setup that I use with everything including a heavy 360mm f6.8 Symmar-S on Deardorff 8x10. Definitely get in touch with Ari and he'll be able to guide on what will best best for you.

Pali

Will definitely contact Ari at FLM.

Another poster suggested that I get 2 tripods, one lighter and smaller for MF gear and suitable for travel, and a larger/heavier one for LF work.

If that's true, the Novoflex system (TrioPod or PRO spiders) would allow me to simply buy two sets of legs, one lighter for travel/MF, one big and sold for LF.

Does that seem reasonable?

I'll have a look at FML in the meantime.

Having purchased a Green Monster recently i've been looking at tripods a bit. Currently have two Bogen/Manfrottos a big one # 3036 if i remember rightly and a smaller one, The big one covered a fair bit of England and Wales with my RB 67. The smaller now looks to be the go to for the RB as it seems more than adaquate.
    The 3036 looks like it will support a Mack truck.
    Some thoughts.....

Weight ratings are often written by the advertising group.

Carrying a heavy tripod....that's what wifes are for

joe
    Last edited by joem; 7-Oct-2018 at 22:19. Reason: add a bit

What's a "Green Monster"?

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    Having purchased a Green Monster recently i've been looking at tripods a bit.

Carrying a heavy tripod....that's what wifes are for

joe
    Where do I find a wife to help carry...?

:-p

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    What's a "Green Monster"?

Where do I find a wife to help carry...?

:-p
    Green Monster (in our context) => Calumet C1 8x10 camera was built in two versions, the later black cast aluminium, and the earlier and lighter (but not lightweight) green cast magnesium version aka "Green Monster"

Solid relatively low cost well built 8x10 cameras.

I had one for a while.

I will let someone else help you with your second question...