Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: triopod head recs

triopod head recs

I am trying to put together a lighter tripod setup. I currently have some heavy (& sturdy) aluminum bogen legs and a 3047 head. The pair works fine for my Calumet C1 setup, but I also recently acquired a Tachihara 4x5 for which it is an overkill (same with my Mamiya 6 system). I'd consider parting with both my legs and my head or having two tripod setups. I also have a Wimberly head that I prefer for my 35mm shooting. That said, I'm torn between getting the best setup and not spending too much money.

For the record, I also *much* prefer the Arca-Swiss QR system to any other, so getting a 3-way head without a QR would be just fine - I'll just add a QR adapter.

I think a ballhead would be pretty annoying - I don't even like ball heads for 35mm. It could be that a high quality BH would change my mind, but I'm not sure I want to dish out too much $$ for one.

I'm considering the Bogen 3029, but I wouldn't save much bulk and only 1 lb with it, though it would get me away from the QR. I'm also considering the 410, but then I'll have another QR system I don't like. Also, would the 3029 work with the heavy C1 to replace the 3047? Are there any other heads I should consider (preferably sub-$100ish)?

As far as legs go, I'm thinking that either sooner or later, I'll get carbon fiber legs - probably Feisol. This would obviously have more of an impact on the weight of my system than the head. I am about 6'1", though, so cheap, light tripods may make my life difficult.

Any input into my situation would be nice.

Thanks, Jon

triopod head recs

I just checked, and my current legs are Bogen 3036 (weighs 13.5lbs, supports 26lbs) - like I said, complete overkill for my Tachihara and Mamiya 6!

triopod head recs

Well, not to be annoying and answer my own question, but I did some more research. I just learned of Bogen's '3D' heads - the 3025 and 3028. The 3028 at least should be a good option: 1.3lbs and supports 11lbs. The 3025 looks more compact, weighs 1.1lbs, and supports 6.6lbs. The 3029 3-way is bulkier, weighs 1.63lbs, and supports 13.2lbs.

Combine the 3028 with the Bogen 3011 legs, and I've got a tall enough tripod which supports 11 lbs and weighs only 6.1 lbs. Substitue the Feisol and I've got 4.4 lbs total and the legs should be a mite sturdier.

I think the 3011 & 3028 look like a pretty good pair for what I want. And used, I should be able to get them together for under $100. I don't think a carbon fiber tripod will be worh the price difference for me at this point.

Does anyone have personal experience with any of these 3 heads to make a comment on their usefulness with a Tachihara-sized camera?

triopod head recs

Um, Jon, I sometimes put a 2x3 Speed Graphic on a 3028 on a Benbo 3 for near ground-level shots. The 3028 holds the camera (also focusing rail and flash brackets and flashes, so it may be carrying more than your Tachi weighs) securely, but I don't find it that nice to use. Getting the camera leveled and pointed in the right direction seems easier with a 3047 on 3115 leveler than with the 3028. But the 3028 should do what you want.

I'd be more concerned about the 3011 legs. I have a set of 3021 legs, bought in 1989, that are wobbly when fully extended. The "knees" give. Yeah, its old and well used. But early this year I spent part of an afternoon in B&H torturing display models of tripods, including a 3011. All of them but a huge and very heavy CF Gitzo gave at the knees. Not a problem for short lenses, but it makes all of those tripods unusable with the longest (400, 700) lenses I use with my Nikons. One of my friends and his wife are birders, have a pair of fairly new spotting scopes on current model 3021s. One of their 3021s is very solid, the other isn't.

I ended up replacing my 3021 with a Berlebach 8023. Its nearly steady enough for the 700 and much better than the 3021. If I ever scrape up the money I'll get the huge Gitzo.

Good luck,

triopod head recs

Dump the 4x5, shoot the 35mm handheld (like God intended), and keep the big guy for your C-1.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

triopod head recs

I don't happen to have the bogen catalogue in front of me, but if you can afford the 405, or 410 gear head get it! That is the next on my list, and the last tripod head you will ever have to buy. Nice and small, no more holding the camera while changing positions.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It is cheaper to buy the right equipment once, even if you have to wait, then it is to buy wrong several times!

Good Luck,
    Dan

triopod head recs

Image from www.riestripod.com/

IMHO a conventional three-way head strong enough for 4x5 is too much where weight and bulk is an issue. You might consider the Ries shown above. I have no trouble whatsoever quickly doing the rough leveling at the legs, then use the head above to finesse it to within several degrees. I do not have a postage scale to weight it, but it's really light - and perfectly strong.

Craigclu

triopod head recs

I went through the same series of decisions a few years ago. I ended up with another 3047 head on a Gitzo 1320 Reporter. I needed something that could control the vibrations of some Pentax 67 equipment (not an easy task) and after trying/borrowing many combinations, this was the best middle weight (also affordable) combination that I found after doing the laser light pointer testing routines. I would avoid the 3011 leg set as a solution for your Tachihara as they are very light duty. I have one w/3025 head that is great for use with a Bronica 645RF kit that I use more and more and would be a nice set for your Mamiya 6. The mid-weight rig I described was chosen for vibe control, which is different than your Tachihara needs, but I've found it very capable for field camera duty and it has become my go-to set when I need to hike a bit. The CF version would be even more portable but then we're back to pricey territory that you (and me, too!) were trying to avoid. Re: the light combo I mentioned, the 3025 head is up to the needs for support but the small, star handles are a bit hard to deal with as they lack easy leverage for tightening but hold well if you have a firm grip and good forearms!

I think you're looking at 2 sets to truly solve your current needs. A bean bag is surprisingly capable for the MF rangefinders and it's rare that I can't find a suitable spot to brace from when going without a pod and using rangefinders.

triopod head recs

I have an Acratech on Gitzo 1227 legs. It is plenty sturdy for either my Toho or Sinar F1, and the weight is a great pleasure for hiking.

Scott Davis

triopod head recs

How are you able to keep your C-1 on the 3047? I found that it was always torquing off the QR plate. I've since switched to a Gitzo 1570 low-profile pan-tilt to get some modest degree of stability. If you want lighter weight legs, get a set of Manfrotto carbon-fiber legs, or at least the NeoTec legs. They're very lightweight, but incredibly sturdy. I have a set of Bogen 443 carbon-fibers and they are so light and easy to take with me anywhere... they hold my Shen Hao (which is heavier than your Tachihara) admirably.