Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How does the Sinar F2 compare to the P2?

Re: How does the Sinar F2 compare to the P2?

I currently have both of them in my apartment, getting ready to call KEH and ask for an RMA for the F2, actually. Both were in great shape, but I definitely like being able to swap the P2 frame onto my existing standard bearer better, and I'll be keeping an eye out for the special bearer and front standard.

So the f2 is one that is with the proper front and rear standards? That would be as heavy as the p2 setup, I would imagine!

It was pretty hefty. While I was testing it (lol, hoping to find something wrong so keh would pay for return shipping, but no dice) I had its rear standard mounted with my p2 front standard, and I used some extension rails to get closeish focus. Then I took the rear standard off to put back in the box without even thinking about how much weight I was removing, only to see my whole tripod tip over with my Dallmeyer 3B on the front of it. Thankfully the lens turned out to be sturdier than my particle board coffee table

Real as produced by Sinar 8x10 F2 weights almost as much as a 8x10 P (P2), having lugged around an 8x10 F2 before, a fully loaded F2 with proper tripod, lens and all is no joke weight wise. Given a choice, seriously consider the P (P2) over the F2 as it is just nicer to use in many ways and the P front standard can support heavier lenses than the F2 front standard with better stability and control of movements. Got to say, Sinar P remains one of my fave view cameras to use to this day.. when all is proper with them, they work really well in so many ways.

Suggest getting one 18" extension rail and two 12" extension rails for 8x10. The 6" extension rail is not as useful for 8x10 due to bellows draw for longer focal length lenses typical of 8x10.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    The 6" extension rail
    Depending on the field bag/case we use, I found that including a 6" rail in the set may allow to store the camera in a more compact way, specially if backpacking. Perhaps (in part) Mr Koch was thinking in that...

For now I've got a 12" and a 6" extension on top of the 12" base rail, which should keep me set for a while as the only lens I have that covers 8x10 is an 11.5" anyways. At some point I'll want to pick up a longer portrait lens, maybe in the 450-ish mm range, and then I'll probably need some more rail. Of course at that point I might also need a 5x7 standard to mount the daggum thing, depending on how big of one I find

Quote Originally Posted by bieber View Post
    For now I've got a 12" and a 6" extension on top of the 12" base rail, which should keep me set for a while as the only lens I have that covers 8x10 is an 11.5" anyways. At some point I'll want to pick up a longer portrait lens, maybe in the 450-ish mm range, and then I'll probably need some more rail. Of course at that point I might also need a 5x7 standard to mount the daggum thing, depending on how big of one I find
    Fuji made a CMW in 450mm and there was a Nikkor M at that focal length, but Symmars and Sironars were 480mm, as I recall. All were mounted in #3 shutters.

Focused at 15ish feet, you’ll need in the vicinity of 675mm of bellows draw—two 12’s and a 6 might work because you can use the extension cap and extend with the focus rack, or even tilt the P bases outward and correct with the asymmetric tilts. But three 12’s will be more comfortable, or some combination thereof. Extensions are easy to find.

Being able to use the shortest rail necessary is a nice feature—I’ve been stabbed in the chest too many times by too long a rail in other systems.

Rick “and a 480mm plasmat in #3 shutter should fit fine on a standard Sinar board” Denney

A copal 3 shutter would be great, but I'm looking for something I can do wet plate portraits with. Anything slower than f/4 is unfortunately gonna be pretty hard to work with, especially at 8x10 magnifications