Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does the Sinar F2 compare to the P2?

Re: How does the Sinar F2 compare to the P2?

Quote Originally Posted by bieber View Post
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. In the end I decided to just go ahead and buy the F2, I like my asymmetric movements and it has the advantage of being available at the moment I figure I'll still probably try to pick up a P2 special bearer at some point in the future (can you attach the standard from the F2 to it?), but for now at least I'll have something to shoot 8x10 on, and more Sinar spare parts.
    A wise decision. Now wasn't that easy? (by the way, I have 3 F2's an a 45 / 810 P system).

(can you attach the standard from the F2 to it?)...

My understanding is no.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    A wise decision. Now wasn't that easy? (by the way, I have 3 F2's an a 45 / 810 P system).

(can you attach the standard from the F2 to it?)...

My understanding is no.
    You are correct, because the part attaching the F2 frame to the rear standard is a rail that doubles as the mechanism for horizontal shifts, whereas the P2 frame is attached firmly to the rear standard by way of a screw (since the horizontal shift takes place at the standard bearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    A wise decision. Now wasn't that easy?
    Heh, it just got harder. KEH shipped the F2 this morning, and someone pointed out to me another site that's currently selling an 8x10 conversion kit (no special bearer though, just the frame, back and bellows). So now I'm thinking I'm probably gonna send the F2 back, eat the shipping and get the P2 conversion instead

Which ya might discover the 8x10 P conversion does not work all that well on a non 8x10 rear P standard and the front standard might be a problem too.

IMO, if ya want a 8x10 P, get a real Sinar 8x10 P.

Bernice

Heh, it just got harder. KEH shipped the F2 this morning, and someone pointed out to me another site that's currently selling an 8x10 conversion kit (no special bearer though, just the frame, back and bellows). So now I'm thinking I'm probably gonna send the F2 back, eat the shipping and get the P2 conversion instead

That is quick! Is it the F2 8x10 with proper standards? Great if you could post a picture to share.

And yes, I'd say a P 8x10 conversion is a better bet. Is it the first non-MB version? You need to know that too because the zero positions in the P and P2 rear standards are different. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Which ya might discover the 8x10 P conversion does not work all that well on a non 8x10 rear P standard and the front standard might be a problem too.
    Yeah, but I can always keep my eyes open for a special bearer later on. Unlike the conversion kit, I've actually seen those on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzz View Post
    That is quick! Is it the F2 8x10 with proper standards? Great if you could post a picture to share.
    It's supposed to be, but I'll know for sure when it gets here. Heh, I guess it would actually be for the best if it turned out to be incomplete for some reason, then they wouldn't charge me to send it back

And yes, I'd say a P 8x10 conversion is a better bet. Is it the first non-MB version? You need to know that too because the zero positions in the P and P2 rear standards are different. Cheers.
    It's the kit with metering back for the P2. The catalog number's 497.58.

It's the kit with metering back for the P2. The catalog number's 497.58.
    By all means go for it - it's the one you've been looking for and just use the normal rear standard for the time being. Quoting a response above, the special standards are not a must, and you can always use indirect shift (i.e. tilting the rail and reverse-tilt the standards) to achieve the same result.

FYI, the original Sinar 8x10 P. Note the front standard is almost all the way up and the special T-rear standard quite low. This limited the amount of lens rise, film back drop. Solution, use indirect rise as needed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sinar 8x10_P.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	183286

Bernice

Sinar altered both front and rear standards for the 8x10 P2. The T rear standard was finished in black (# 433.52), the 8x10 front standard was made with increase rise and a different detent position specifically for 8x10 (# 431.52). This solved the limited front lens rise problem with the original 8x10P that used the standard P front standard.

Name:	Sinar 8x10_P2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	183288

P2 catalog page for standards and the 8x10 MB conversion kit# 497.58

Name:	Sinar P2_std.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	183289

Bernice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sinar 8x10_P.jpg  

How did it go in the end?