Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does the Sinar F2 compare to the P2?

Re: How does the Sinar F2 compare to the P2?

Sinar Norma IS a very nice camera to use in many ways. The asymmetric tilt-swing of the Sinar P, F, X, can save time when needed and used properly, view camera folks have been compensating for what asymmetric tilt-swing can do for a long time by additional camera adjustments. It's not that big a deal, really, if photographer understands and knows what to do, how to compensate.

That said, accessories and all related to stuff required to make any view camera more useable and produce images with special needs, Sinar is realistic in many ways. Sinar accessories are not too difficult to find-get and of mostly good lasting build quality and works as advertised-claimed. This most important detail is very signifiant one the photographer discovers a need for a view camera widget that can make an idea for expressive images possible. Few if any view camera systems made have the range of accessories with ease of availability as Sinar.

There are very, very good reasons why Sinar sold SO many view cameras and was used by SO many photographers that resulted in SO many remarkable view camera images.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I'll chime in and suggest an 8x10 Norma back. That is what I have used out in the field for thirty five years, shooting Architecture and Landscape.

Normas are easier to find than Kardan B's, particularly the accessories. Even a completely trashed Norma can be restored with care and skill, as long as the castings are not broken.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. In the end I decided to just go ahead and buy the F2, I like my asymmetric movements and it has the advantage of being available at the moment I figure I'll still probably try to pick up a P2 special bearer at some point in the future (can you attach the standard from the F2 to it?), but for now at least I'll have something to shoot 8x10 on, and more Sinar spare parts.

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have had the Norma (5x7) and now a F2. Really like the F2 in use in the field.

The F2 4x5 is nice, but the 8x10 is probably too unwieldy. You don't actually achieve meaningful savings in weight (7.9 kg for the F2, and some 8.5 kg for the full set P2 8x10 - meaning that if you just find a F2 front standard and make a Sinar C 8x10, the weight will be identical with that of the F2).

The bigger MB accommodation in the F2, plus the two thick rods underneath that stick out, also mean it's harder to backpack the whole rig. I use a F2 up to 5x7 only. But YMMV.

The big problem with all sinar conversions to 8x10 is direct front rise, only the real p2 front standard has any real capacity built in.

Extensions can be added to the Norma front but they’re hard to find (easier to have them made)

The Norma is a much better camera than any version of the f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by asf View Post

Extensions can be added to the Norma front but they’re hard to find (easier to have them made)

The Norma is a much better camera than any version of the f
    I'd say that the F models also can take extensions for the rise, just removing the "Rise Rod End Cap" you can add extension rods:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	183119

And yes, a norma is a norma... the Fs are not bad.

The MB (Meter Back) is mostly useless outdoors due to the bulk of the rear unit and if one were to use the Sinar metering probe, it does not work well at all out doors due to stray light at the GG.

These versions of Sinar backs have GG lifters that do not always seat flat when opened, then closed. The do and can move slightly sideways causing the GG holder to be uneven. Not common, but can happen and a detail worth being aware of.

IMO, Sinar F or P 8x10 works much better as a studio or mostly indoor camera. If a 8x10 is to spend most of it's life outdoors, there are better choices.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzz View Post
    The F2 4x5 is nice, but the 8x10 is probably too unwieldy. You don't actually achieve meaningful savings in weight (7.9 kg for the F2, and some 8.5 kg for the full set P2 8x10 - meaning that if you just find a F2 front standard and make a Sinar C 8x10, the weight will be identical with that of the F2).

The bigger MB accommodation in the F2, plus the two thick rods underneath that stick out, also mean it's harder to backpack the whole rig. I use a F2 up to 5x7 only. But YMMV.

Drew Wiley

The true 8x10 F2 has especially thick STEEL riser columns on the front standard, as opposed to the regular aluminum ones. Lots of used Sinars show up hybrid, cobbled together from mismatched components. And there are different versions of P as well. Like several others here, I happen to prefer Norma, but they are harder to find in pristine condition. The later P's are nice if you do a lot of tabletop studio photography; otherwise they can be clumsy unless you have one helluva studio stand or tripod support.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I'd say that the F models also can take extensions for the rise, just removing the "Rise Rod End Cap" you can add extension rods:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	183119

And yes, a norma is a norma... the Fs are not bad.
    Are there official extension rods for F2? I'd be interested to have one to extend its rise capability when used with my P2 back. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzz View Post
    Are there official extension rods for F2? I'd be interested to have one to extend its rise capability when used with my P2 back. Thanks.
    Sinar catalog only shows rods for the hood: http://www.hotz.be/files/Sinar_Catalogue_2015.pdf

It can be done in a machine shop, just a rod made of stainless steel with a centered hole with thread, that would take a dowel with same screew than the end caps, I'd fix the dowel to the extension with Threadlocking Adhesive Loctite 270.

I don't know if using extension rods may stress something else... IMHO one should take care with that.

But remember that, for additional rise, you can always use indirect movements, if you tilt front and rear the same angle then what you have is an equivalent rise...