Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hiking with (LF and) ULF camera equipment

Re: Hiking with (LF and) ULF camera equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    Now, THAT is quite something!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Comments really welcome on this subject... Would love to know how others have dealt with hauling LF and ULF equipment way, way past the trailhead. Have yet to find a backpack suitable to haul my 11x14 Chamonix with 3 lenses, 2+ film holders, and more. Weight of the 11x14 outfit I'm sure I could handle, but again have yet to find a backpack capable of carrying the 11x14.

thanks
    I found an 8x10 camera that weighs only 5lbs, and an 11x14 that weighs only 10lbs. I fabricated a 7x11 back to fit the 8x10 camera for ULF. When backpacking extended distances (and elevations), I try to anticipate the fl I will need and take only the lens(es) I will need to make the photograph I want. Sometimes this involves scouting trips w/o the gear, then returning later to photograph. Everything is a trade-off...

I've got an Amvona pack (off eBay) that's perfect for the 11x14, though I'm not sure they still make this size.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    This has to be the slickest application for a camera tote I’ve seen on this forum or anywhere else. There is a little sticker shock to be sure, but I think the Monowalker would be great for ULF.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Just do not take it into the wilderness!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    +1

Foamer

Why?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by kenj8246 View Post
    If you've managed to successfully attach a tripod to a f.64 bpx pack, can you tell/show how you've done it? I haven't actually started yet--still waiting on the Intrepid 8X10--other than practice loading accoutrements and such. If I could get the tripod foot of one of my LowePros secured securely, I THINK that'd be a start. At this point, I'm thinking I'll have to hump the Gitzo over a shoulder. I'm presently using a Zone VI shoulder bag for my Chamonix 45 and 3 or 4 lenses and other stuff, tripod over the shoulder.
    Tripod is a BENRO TAD28C Adventure carbon fiber with a Ries head. Combo is a tad bit top heavy, but works out great for me in the field. Attached the tripod to the side of the f/64 using compression straps which went through the plastic loupes attached to the short lengths of 1" webbing. Problem was that the tripod rode too low below the bottom of the pack. Also really didn't trust the plastic loupes. Solution was to have the owner/tailor of our local cleaning store replace the plastic loupes with metal ones and to have her fabricate and attach a pouch on the side of the pack to support the bottom of the folded up tripod. Wanted to keep the bottom of the tripod even with the bottom of the pack. In the past she has constructed and modified many cases and interior foam inserts for me. Problem is that she retired, and the new owner has no interest in fabricating and modifying photo related things for me. Franchised cleaners in our area do not do custom modifications or fabrications was told for many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    I found an 8x10 camera that weighs only 5lbs, and an 11x14 that weighs only 10lbs. I fabricated a 7x11 back to fit the 8x10 camera for ULF. When backpacking extended distances (and elevations), I try to anticipate the fl I will need and take only the lens(es) I will need to make the photograph I want. Sometimes this involves scouting trips w/o the gear, then returning later to photograph. Everything is a trade-off...

I've got an Amvona pack (off eBay) that's perfect for the 11x14, though I'm not sure they still make this size.
    The willingness to scout a potential photographic area and define the objective in securing an image objectively as a part of your "image" game plan is easily discounted as "compulsive excessive" yet whats the point if the result is not obtained? If you do not overcome the challenges of weight, distance, capability and commitment guess what? The image is not obtained.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Why?

Kent in SD
    I believe they are referring to Federal Regulation - Title 36, Chapt II, Part 261, Sec. 261.57 (h) which prohibits
    "possessing or using a wagon, cart or other vehicle" in Federal Wilderness Areas.

Greg Hindy ... the cross-country Large Format trekker from back in 2016 got scolded for this at one point in his trek ... he was using a three-wheeled cart for his gear.

It is intended to keep the wild in wilderness ... even the wilderness maintenance crews use only hand tools (axes, saws, shovels) no chain saws allowed even for the trail builders/maintainers ... and Vaughn would know given the number of trees and logs he hand-cut in his years as a wilderness ranger.

For my 11x14 Chamonix I have been looking at canoe portage packs. This one looks like it would hold camera and holders.
    https://www.rei.com/product/867832/g...age-canoe-pack.
    I picked up an old vintage Granite Gear portage pack recently for my 11x14.

It's the perfect pack for walking longer distances.