Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field or View Camera?

Field or View Camera?

Hi,

I'm a 35mm and medium format camera user and I'm thinking of buying my first large format.

One of my doubts is to buy a view or field camera, I would use it sporadically and my preference is for landscapes and architecture.

You who already use this format, which of the two would indicate me?

Regards,
    Ricardo

Re: Field or View Camera?

For landscape a field camera would be easier to transport but for architecture a view/monorail camera will give you more movements.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

If "architecture" includes a lot of photographs inside of a building, you will probably want a very wide field of view and not extreme movements. Outside You will probably want extreme movements and fairly wide field of view capability.

Depending upon what your typical landscapes are you might want short focal lengths and/or long focal lengths. With some exceptions such as cliffs (Yosemite Valley, etc) you might not need wide movements. Macro often involves tilts.

Canham cameras are nearly as easy to transport as a field camera such as a Technika but generally have movements comparable to a monorail. Their normal bellows support quite short focal lengths.

jeff

For the compactness of a field camera but the movements of a monorail consider the Linhof Technikardan which combines the best of both.

It almost doesn't matter which type, brand or cost camera you buy as almost everyone changes to a different camera in short order.

I suggest bellows condition and lowest cost is primary at first.

Few want to make or buy new bellows right off.
    Tin Can

The two best known “field monorails” are the Linhof Technikarden mentioned by Bob, and the Arca-Swiss F Field model with the collapsible rail. Both are exceptionally well-engineered cameras. OTOH, I have the Canham DLC^2 mentioned by Jeff, it seemed the best compromise for me. While the standard bellows allows me to use my 80mm lens, to allow movements with the wide-angle you will want the optional bag bellows. None of these are inexpensive, so you really should handle them before making a choice.

Field camera

Which ever one you can carry easily to your destination that also allows the movements you require. It is that simple.

In my case, a 72 year-old man with mobility issues, nerve damage, cane assisted and falls down unexpectedly and only uses front rise, a Linhof V (or later) is good because its shell is perfectly protective. (It also allows rear movements which I ignore)

My thoughts -

If all you want to do is to expose large format film then just about any camera that you can carry to where you are interested in taking pictures will work. Field cameras, which I always thought of as the type that fold up so you can easily carry them around, work well for this. An inexpensive Graflex Crown Graphic is a great starting point and won't cost you an arm and a leg to get started with.

If you really want to LEARN to use a large format camera, which for me means you are interested in playing with all the various movements that make large format photography so interesting and so flexible, then start with a 4x5 monorail. A decent and inexpensive monorail that will serve you well until you learn enough to have a good idea of what you really need for your type of photography is the Cambo SC. This camera will allow you to do just about anything you want to do while learning, and can be used in an indoor studio setup while not being so unwieldy to prevent you from packing it into the field and using it outdoors as well.

There are a lot of different cameras out there that cost a little more, or a lot more, and are undoubtedly far more capable than the two I have recommended, but only you know the depth of your wallet and what you are interesting in spending to learn the ropes and to satisfy your curiosity. The Crown Graphic or the Cambo SC have been around for a lot of years and have proven that they are capable and sturdy cameras, which I think is probably most important to the beginner.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    My thoughts -

If all you want to do is to expose large format film then just about any camera that you can carry to where you are interested in taking pictures will work. Field cameras, which I always thought of as the type that fold up so you can easily carry them around, work well for this. An inexpensive Graflex Crown Graphic is a great starting point and won't cost you an arm and a leg to get started with.

If you really want to LEARN to use a large format camera, which for me means you are interested in playing with all the various movements that make large format photography so interesting and so flexible, then start with a 4x5 monorail. A decent and inexpensive monorail that will serve you well until you learn enough to have a good idea of what you really need for your type of photography is the Cambo SC. This camera will allow you to do just about anything you want to do while learning, and can be used in an indoor studio setup while not being so unwieldy to prevent you from packing it into the field and using it outdoors as well.

There are a lot of different cameras out there that cost a little more, or a lot more, and are undoubtedly far more capable than the two I have recommended, but only you know the depth of your wallet and what you are interesting in spending to learn the ropes and to satisfy your curiosity. The Crown Graphic or the Cambo SC have been around for a lot of years and have proven that they are capable and sturdy cameras, which I think is probably most important to the beginner.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.
    Since th OP stated that he would do landscape and architecture a press camera would not work! You would need a camera with front and rear movements since rear movements let you control image shape.

A Crown or Speed Graphic is a press camera with no rear movements of any kind!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Since th OP stated that he would do landscape and architecture a press camera would not work! You would need a camera with front and rear movements since rear movements let you control image shape.

A Crown or Speed Graphic is a press camera with no rear movements of any kind!
    Sorry Bob. I must be screwing up somehow since I seem to be able to manage to get adequate tilt and rise out of my poor little old press camera to keep my landscapes working well.

As for architecture then I would most certainly recommend that the OP opt for the much more capable Cambo SC if he intends to use the types of movement that may be necessary for that type of photography.

Of course I am pretty sure that you would recommend that we all go out and spend our life savings on some version of a Linhoff. I apologize wholeheartedly for not making that recommendation immediately.

But...I could be wrong.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan