Thread: A LF Unicorn? The TOYO 6x8 Camera. Also, any bellows maker Recommendations?

A LF Unicorn? The TOYO 6x8 Camera. Also, any bellows maker Recommendations?

I recently acquire a Toyo camera rig for an auction sale in Japan

The seller had no information on the item.

Here is the link to the original auction.
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q236633987

The auction original came with a pair of 4x5 standards ( Probably Toyo Deluxe 1961)

The 4x5 back, a wood film holder, and a Japanese Asanuma shutter.

It also came with what seems like an incredibly uncommon rear 6x8 standard with back.

(I think i got an OK deal since I really wanted an 8x10 standard for my scanner camera project but those are crazy expensive)

anyway,
    The bellows is pretty deteriorated, looks unrecoverable as it is flaking all over the place and it since seems like it’s glued to back, would it totally be monstrous of me to remove and probably destroy the bellows in the process or removing ?

also,
    From reading prior posts on the forum it seems members have gotten custom made bellows from

http://www.custombellows.co.uk/products.html

https://dynatect.com/product/protect...ustom-bellows/

I’ll see what it will cost to have something custom made but

Does anyone recommend any other bellows maker?

Re: A LF Unicorn? The TOYO 6x8 Camera. Also, any bellows maker Recommendations?

Any chance it's actually a bit larger, about 6.5x8.5"? That would be Whole Plate. 'Plate' sizes seem to have remained in use for quite long in Japan. The whole plate format is favoured by some as the ideal format for contact prints but film and holders are harder to get than 5x7 or 8x10.

Yes.

You are correct. The model is the 6x8D which is in fact 6.5 x 8.5.

Sorry if anyone was confused, I was under the impression that 6x8 was common shorthand / interchangeable for whole plate 6.5.x8.5.

In any case,
    I'm quite pleased with the size since the rear standard size opening is actually 22.2 x 22.2 cm (8.74x8.74) (without the back plate) which is perfect for my 8x11 scanning camera surface.

Foamer

New below is worth it. Just received x2 for gundlach kokonas from UK custom bellows. Cost was 150 pounds each. Sent old ones in with frames, they even mounted them.

Kent in sd
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    New below is worth it. Just received x2 for gundlach kokonas from UK custom bellows. Cost was 150 pounds each. Sent old ones in with frames, they even mounted them.

Kent in sd

Sounds great!

I'm in contact with them about my camera.

What is the quality of the bellows? What material are they made from?
    Last edited by Markham941; 2-Oct-2018 at 20:07.