Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What a whopper!

Re: What a whopper!

Kent, I use cup-shaped adapters to mount fat lenses to small boards. An alternative is a 2- or, more likely, 3-piece board. Three pieces, with the middle piece somewhat smaller than the one that attaches to the camera so that there's room for the sliders.

About heavy lenses, I hang heavy lenses completely in front of the board, use a crutch to support them. On my Cambo, the crutch is a mutilated front standard. An inexpensive lab jack would have done as well and cost less.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    I like your cooke lens! Do you have some photos taken with the cooke lens? Thanks!
    Thanks. Not yet! I only got it recently and most of my free (photography) time lately has been taken up with making various adapters, and adapting lensboards. Will let you know when I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    The physically largest I own is here....
    Well, they say size doesn't matter but that is mighty impressive Shame it has no magical qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Being stupid, I passed on a beaten Petzval in the same lot.
    They do say (in smaller formats anyway) that a really worn lens can be a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Not a real beast, but it is the longest/heaviest lens I own. 35" Artar in Ilex 5 & board weighs 3# 11.5 oz.
    That's still a mighty lens. Many thanks, added.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I am currently trying to fit large lenses to a 5x7 Gundlach Korona. (I'll write more about that later.) For me, the most important measurement has been flange diameter. I'v just purchased a voigtlander Petzval with a 5.5 in. flange that I need to figure out how to get it onto a 4.5 x 4.5 lens board. Second figure of importance is diameter of a lens, to see if it will fit through the front standard as I don't want to try haning a really heavy lens on the Korona's front standard (would like lens to straddle it.) Third measurement would be focal length, of course. I have about 39 inches of rail.
    My current LF cameras are a Canham 5x7 and a Sinar P2. The latter gets little use, but it put me on the path of Sinar compatability / adaptability for larger barrel lenses. I decided to make a step-up adapter (Canham to Sinar), sacrificing a lensboard from each camera and bolting them together with a square of ply (18mm/0.75") between (obviously with a large circular aperture cut out).

Now I can mount a Sinar shutter, a somewhat stripped down Sinar 'universal' standard, and lenses on Sinar boards. The Canham copes with the weight remarkably well (all hung 'off the front') and is rock solid. And the entire rig is far, far lighter than the P2. Can take some shots to illustrate if you want.

The Canham has thin plastic (nylon?) washers between the metal surfaces, maybe this helps with 'bite' to keep the surfaces from slipping against each other? You could try adding the same to your Korona.

Heavy lens support.

This will not work for everyone. I like Dan's crutch support better. Well, here is a test bed I used once with a Sinar Alpina. The bed was designed as a camera support for a large telescope. One sold on the big auction site for $15.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	standw.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	182915
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 1-Oct-2018 at 15:00.

480mm f4.5 Schneider Xenar on 5x7_13x18cm Sinar P2.

Name:	480mm Xenar, Sinar P2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	182922

342mm f4.5 Cooke Aviar, all brass and Heavy, on 5x7_13x18cm Sinar P2.

Name:	342mm Cooke Aviar_Sinar P2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	182923

Sinar P front standard handles lenses like this with ease and stability. Sinar shutter allows barrel lenses like to be used with equal ease.
    Trade off, the entire outfit is HEAVY.

For novelty, have a 36" f8 Perkin Elmer aero recon lens in Fairchild K38 shutter and a 24" f2.5 Aero Ektar in the same Fairchild K38 shutter. These were purchased in the late 80's, for very little $. Very few wanted them back then. Images maybe later.

Bernice

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

One of the lenses I have handy is my 16-18" Graf Variable. This lens come in at 5# 9 oz. It fits on a 6 inch lens board and projects back in about an inch and a half. The lens is 5 inches in diameter I use it on the studio camera and it has been out in the field once but it did strain the front standard of my walnut 8x10 that I built.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fullsizeoutput_3ba3.jpg  

I have a couple -

A big Kranz Petzval (approx 480mm) fitted on my big Gandolfi Imperial (12x15)

And a huge Jamin/Darlot cone lens - I have made images in 16x20 with this one..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   cone2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    480mm f4.5 Schneider Xenar on 5x7_13x18cm Sinar P2.

Name:	480mm Xenar, Sinar P2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	182922

342mm f4.5 Cooke Aviar, all brass and Heavy, on 5x7_13x18cm Sinar P2.

Name:	342mm Cooke Aviar_Sinar P2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	182923
    Wow that Xenar is big... it takes something to fill a Sinar board like that... Can you weigh them?