Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for Darkroom Books

Recommendations for Darkroom Books

I recommend the video "Printing with Fred Picker" usually available on eBay. It's a good demonstration of how a good printer got good prints, and seeing is believing. Produced in 1989, it's still valid, even though it could be updated to cover variable contrast paper and filtration (but won't be, Freddie's dead, as the old song says).

His assistant is pretty cool, too. Although older now, and bulkier.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

" . . . A modern book. Not anything old. Thanks"

You may be limiting yourself by looking solely for "modern" books, Brian. There are plenty of pearls of wisdom in older texts - particularly if one remembers that basic processes haven't changed much in decades, only the availability of specific products.

I concur with Jorge's endorsement of Ruddman's "Master Printers Course" book. While it doesn't give a full exploration of general darkroom techniques and processes, it does a nice job of dealing with printing techniques.

I can recommend two books by the English photographer Eddie Ephraums: "Creative Elements: Darkroom Techniques For Landscape Photography," and "Gradient Light - The Art And Craft Of Using Variable Contrast Paper." Mr. Ephraums uses a 35 mm camera, but his advice on printing is equally applicable, of course, to printing with a big negative. Ephraums writes a lot about toning, if that is of particular interest to you. The books were published by Amphoto in the mid 90's. I am not sure whether they are still in print.

I am not aware of any other books on printing that are as in-depth on how to get the most out of variable contrast paper.

And I second Bruce Barlow's recommendation of the video Printing with Fred Picker. I found that I learned things from watching a master printer work, even on video, that I could not get from a book.

Also check David Vestal's two books, Book of Craft and the Art of Black and White Enlarging (IIRC). Both out of print, but both worth a look. (check the local library...)

Dave

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Vestal and Picker are quite good. I'll second Dave's suggestion of the fabulous Ctein book:

POST EXPOSURE - Advanced Techniques for the Photographic Printer
    2nd Edition
    by Ctein
    Published 2000 by Focal Press, an imprint of Butterworth Heinemann
    208 pp. paperback ISBN 0-240-80437-6

Eric Woodbury

The Print, AA, and Way Beyond Monochrome, which is more up todate with modern techniques. The only thing I don't like about WBM is that it is so heavy. Is there lead in the paper?
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

If you're considering the Ansel Adams guides, also consider John Schaefer's update/rewrite, done at Adams' suggestion. Done in two volumes, I think it should be considered a standard modern reference for serious photographers. Schaefer is a former chemistry professor and long-time large format photographer, and as President of the University of Arizona, he and Adams founded the Center for Creative Photography, so he has a reasonable background.

Bruce Barnbaum's "Art of Photography, an Approach to Personal Expression" is also a great technical resource, and has some good aesthetic discussions as well.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Not sure if it is still available, but Larry Bartlett's "Black and White Photographic Printing Workshop" is full of worked examples with printing plans etc. Another vote each for "Way Beyond Monochrome" (which is by far the most technical I think) and anything by Tim Rudman. Also a vote for Les McLean's "Creative Black & White Photography" which is about 75% darkroom - the rest being film, and one digital printing chapter.

> The only thing I don't like about WBM is that it is so heavy. Is there lead in the paper?

Silver, perhaps, from the look of the prints. Do not get put off by the technical stuff - they include a lot of common sense as well.