Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Enlarger advice

Re: Enlarger advice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Did anyone mention the need for a high ceiling if a big pro enlarger is involved? (if projecting vertically). I wouldn't bother with the idea of a medium format enlarger, however. Full 4x5 enlargers are far more common anyway, and can often be obtained used at very reasonable price or downright free.
    Using a high quality wide angle 45 enlarging lens will deliver superior print quality on prints up to 20 to 30% larger at the same column height as 135 or 150mm lenses, at better resolution.!

Well, I have the room for large prints, it is just a matter of learning what is needed and how to use it before buying. Part of this is to be ready for retirement in 12 years when I will have the time to do this full time, unless I win the lottery sooner.

I go to Tempe Camera all the time so I will look and see what they have. They have all but got out of the film business, saved for used items and some bw chemicals and paper.

As for enlarger it seems like an 8x10 will allow for the large prints, but also smaller prints from 4x5 film. I have room to project horizontally to allow enough projection for large prints from a 4x5 enlarger assuming proper lens and mounting of paper.

Who knew I would go down the rabbit hole getting back into film and learning view camera and 4x5 film. I am ready to go to 6x17 with roll back adapter and even go 8x10. Now I am into wanting to print. Shoulda took the blue pill .

Most of my printing will be 16x20 as well as contact printing. Even considering learning digital negatives for contact printing.

Is there a cure?

Part of my thinking is that as staed earlier, I will be printing mostly 16x20 and smaller, but I want to have the capability to print up to 32x40 for those images that are super good and can only be appreciated when large. Additionally, I like panoramic prints and routimly print digitally at 36 inches in length. So having the ability to print that large helps and is what I am setting up my dark room for. But I plan to learn all the techniques on the smaller print sizes beforee going big.

I spill a lot, big trays get hard to handle as I age. I am getting a pump soon.

I keep my fixer in 5 gallon and 2.5-gallon floating lid tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

Randy, I am open to understanding the need for a huge sink, if there is one for the hobbyist or low-volume printer, other than tradition. Truth be told, my wooden bench has lots of stains from developer dripping onto it. But it doesn't bother me.
    Tin Can

I once dropped a tray filled with a gallon of selenium toner in my old darkroom. Hit the ground and just exploded everyone. Not a good day.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Steve, now that you are actively looking, enlargers will become available. I trust you will have more than you need soon.

Get a good chassis, not all are great. FOTAR are very rare but really well made. Basically copies of smaller DeVere. Heads will almost all interchange.

Heads or lamps are the problem, B&W is easier to find or make. Color heads became very odd electronic devices which seem to fail a lot as they are so old.

I bought 2 10X10 enlargers without heads very cheaply. I had 5 10X10 enlargers before I stopped collecting them.

I use a 500 mile rule, which means I will drive a 500 miles radius. You have plenty within your 500 miles.

I am too far from you. And I have no 10X10 color heads. I gave a Super Chromega F away. Don't get one, a very poor design!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Part of my thinking is that as staed earlier, I will be printing mostly 16x20 and smaller, but I want to have the capability to print up to 32x40 for those images that are super good and can only be appreciated when large. Additionally, I like panoramic prints and routimly print digitally at 36 inches in length. So having the ability to print that large helps and is what I am setting up my dark room for. But I plan to learn all the techniques on the smaller print sizes beforee going big.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I once dropped a tray filled with a gallon of selenium toner in my old darkroom. Hit the ground and just exploded everyone. Not a good day.
    A sink is good for that situation...

Tin Can

e Bay has a Superchromega F chassis with the poorly designed matching head.

The head is the problem, it was compromised for 8ft ceilings with 4 lamps projecting from one side creating a gradient.

The chassis is fine.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    One of the very best quality enlarging lenses available is the 120mm Rodenstock Rodagon WA. It fully covers 45 and allows you to make prints 20% larger at the same column height as the longer heads listed on earlier posts on this thread. That can eliminate the need for a longer column which will minimize vibration and may shorten exposures slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Steve, now that you are actively looking, enlargers will become available. I trust you will have more than you need soon.

Get a good chassis, not all are great. FOTAR are very rare but really well made. Basically copies of smaller DeVere. Heads will almost all interchange.

Heads or lamps are the problem, B&W is easier to find or make. Color heads became very odd electronic devices which seem to fail a lot as they are so old.

I bought 2 10X10 enlargers without heads very cheaply. I had 5 10X10 enlargers before I stopped collecting them.

I use a 500 mile rule, which means I will drive a 500 miles radius. You have plenty within your 500 miles.

I am too far from you. And I have no 10X10 color heads. I gave a Super Chromega F away. Don't get one, a very poor design!
    I sure hope so, it is like shopping for a car, everyone will get you from A to B, but some do it better than others. Depends on where you are at? I will be going to NC this Christmas to visit my father-in-law, he is an old farmer and don't want wife to miss out on him. So if your within 500 miles of anywhere along a route from AZ to NC (there are several) assuming you were suggesting you might be able to help that is I could meet you somewhere.