Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Enlarger advice

Re: Enlarger advice

Since you live in "The States" you might look for Beseler or Omega enlargers. The European enlargers are nice too but finding parts could be akin to finding 1980s Italian or German car parts in the states.

In "The States" it seems large format enlargers are getting harder to find. I'd just pony-up and pay the price if you find a good late model with all the accessories. I don't see the availability situation getting any better. Of course "NEW" is still an option for those that don't do their own refurbishing and repair work.

Large format enlargers available in the US were all expensive 'high-end' devices. Maybe similar to medium format photography equipment. You won't find GAF, Hasbro, Ricoh, Brownie, Instimatic, Lomo, Diana, Argus, etc. large format enlargers.

Here's what I am doing. I am almost set up in my new darkroom. Soon! The laundry sink at right in pic2 is for my Gas Burst system.

I like Beseler and I won't be doing color, but I do have a simple non-computer Beseler color head. It's also good for B&W. Pic 3.

First image is what you need to know to make big prints from 8X10 negs. My ceiling is 10', the head in pic 2 goes up to 9' and will allow big prints on that 36X36" table. That's a Beseler v-XL 4X5, a DIY 8X10 conversion with an Aristo 1212 Cold Head. The mystery box on the table is a DIY 1212 temp stablizer. If I want bigger prints I will add a bigger top. The table is 30" above the floor. Comfortable. I bought this setup, somebody else built the DIY parts. It's on the wall if it's not obvious.

Pic 3 is a Beseler Color head which can be put on the Beseler V-XL 4X5 or the CB7 in pic 4. In fact, all the heads are interchangeable.

IMG-1424 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-1422 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-1426 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

IMG-1428 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Addendum

The way the V-XL is set up in the pic it will project a 30X40" print from an 8X10 neg with a Nikkor 240mm.

I plan to do no larger than 20X24 and mostly 16X20 matted bigger.
    Tin Can

You are receiving excellent advice, and two of the posters are really our resident experts: Bob Carnie is a professional printer, and Bob Saloman was the distributor for a number of top-end photo manufacturers. What comes to my mind when you mention designing your darkroom is that aside from the enlarger, everything gets exponentially larger as your print size goes up, meaning that trays and washers, for example take up much more room. I imagine you can design sinks, for example, to handle 16x20 trays that aren’t gigantic (I designed my darkroom around 11x14 trays and don’t print larger than that), but beyond 16x20 you should start collecting ideas from anyone working in those sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    I imagine you can design sinks, for example, to handle 16x20 trays that aren’t gigantic (I designed my darkroom around 11x14 trays and don’t print larger than that), but beyond 16x20 you should start collecting ideas from anyone working in those sizes.
    I would like to mention here that I have no problem printing up to 20x24 without a darkroom sink. I still have very little understanding what the use of a giant sink is, other than convenience of pouring out chemicals. I just use an oversized kitchen sink in my darkroom. For years, a 20x24 tray and Kodak siphon has done fine for washing - just recently got a vertical print washer which is certainly nice. Trays are on a simple 8ft. bench. I saved lots of money and frustration foregoing the traditional "darkroom sink."
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I knew you were smart!

Not facetious.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    So, I know very little about enlarging at this point.

I would like to do prints from 4x5 to 32x40, color and bw. Is there an enlarger that can do both color and bw and able to do the sizes I am interested in? What would be the best brand, average brand? I assume 1 enlarger can use different heads to accommodate both color and bw? Or would it be best to have separate enlargers?
    Sure, all it takes is money. Lots and lots of money. If you want both color and B&W you can print both with a color head. Oh, you may want to learn a "little about enlarging" before you spend lots and lots of money. You've had lots of suggestions on this thread, and the are a gozillion enlarger threads on this site. It's already been pointed out that to make 30" x 40" prints (really?) most 4x5 enlargers won't cut it and you probably need to go up to 5x7, 8x10 enlargers, or horizontal enlargers that take up even more room. An 8x10 Devere has a 32 x 42" table, I suspect the Durst is similar. They're big machines that take up lots of room. New ones cost lots of money, good used ones are getting very scarce unless you get very lucky. Many (most ?) used enlargers are going to be B&W enlargers, so one more level of complexity to find. Good luck!

Randy, I am open to understanding the need for a huge sink, if there is one for the hobbyist or low-volume printer, other than tradition. Truth be told, my wooden bench has lots of stains from developer dripping onto it. But it doesn't bother me.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

Randy, I am open to understanding the need for a huge sink, if there is one for the hobbyist or low-volume printer, other than tradition. Truth be told, my wooden bench has lots of stains from developer dripping onto it. But it doesn't bother me.
    And a harder clean-up after an at-home alien autopsy... ;-)

Steve K

Drew Wiley

Did anyone mention the need for a high ceiling if a big pro enlarger is involved? (if projecting vertically). I wouldn't bother with the idea of a medium format enlarger, however. Full 4x5 enlargers are far more common anyway, and can often be obtained used at very reasonable price or downright free.