Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enlarger advice

Enlarger advice

So, I know very little about enlarging at this point.

I would like to do prints from 4x5 to 32x40, color and bw. Is there an enlarger that can do both color and bw and able to do the sizes I am interested in? What would be the best brand, average brand? I assume 1 enlarger can use different heads to accommodate both color and bw? Or would it be best to have separate enlargers?

Re: Enlarger advice

One enlarger can do both, and size depends on lens to paper distance, that would depend on the column height and lens used. A color head can easily do both, unless you want a special head for B & W. You should read a book or two on darkroom work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    One enlarger can do both, and size depends on lens to paper distance, that would depend on the column height and lens used. A color head can easily do both, unless you want a special head for B & W. You should read a book or two on darkroom work.
    Any book suggestions? I'm jumping in this with both feet and butt and I am getting down to where I need to start making decisions on final dark room design, etc as my honey do list grows. Plus, it is getting cooler out now so (live in arizona) so I want to take advantage of that while I construct room and finish off my house

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Any book suggestions? I'm jumping in this with both feet and butt and I am getting down to where I need to start making decisions on final dark room design, etc as my honey do list grows. Plus, it is getting cooler out now so (live in arizona) so I want to take advantage of that while I construct room and finish off my house
    Go over to Tempe Camera and see what they have.

For this size of large print, you may need a special arrangement on your enlarger stand that allows you to extend the easel plane below the usual bench top level on which enlarger rests. For example, I constructed my enlarger stand so that I can lower the easel down a foot for larger prints.

This pdf is for free http://ctein.com/PostExposure2ndIllustrated.pdf

There is a bit of controversy about what it says about some things, but anyway it's excellent to learn some advanced theory. I prefer first learning the theory and later going to the practice, if you want to start in the same way then you may take a look inside it to understand the condensers and difusers, then I would go to any practical book to start printing.

I'd recommend you start printing with a MF enlarger, this cheap and small, so you even may buy 3, one of the condenser type, another with a variable contrast header and another one with a dichroic color head, so you will have the chance to learn a lot.

IMHO a LF enlarger it's something one has to acquire when one knows very well what he wants.

I started with a LPL enlarger with variable contrast head, then I got a Kaiser with condenser, and now I'm using a borrowed Durst 138 S that allows 5x7.

Regarding the learning, first is making simple prints from easy to print negatives with MG paper, then you learn burning/dodging, next step is split grade printing allowing local contrast control. Then it comes some masking: CRM, SCIM... Way Beyond Monochrome is a nice book for advanced printers. Finally it comes color masking in the Alan Ross way, to achieve local contrast control by printing color masks (replacing ilford VC filters), this is jet printing a color transparency that is sandwiched with the negative.

IMHO it's personally very rewarding to get a mastery in wet printing (not many make money with that today ) but's a quite challenging trip. I want to learn that way.

Drew Wiley

Most basic 4x5 enlargers are not going to have either a big enough baseboard or tall enough column for 30X40 inch prints. Some can be tilted for horizontal
    projection onto a wall easel, and there are also various ways to mount the column to a wall and use a larger table below. Colorheads work fine for both color
    and black and white printing.

Start small and figure the basics out first, is my opinion. I am working on a couple custom setups for large prints from 4x5 and 8x10, after really getting the hang of making good smaller prints. Going straight to 30x40 prints is not something you just "jump in to" unless you've got a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket and the ability, time, and more money to waste working out how to do it right.

IMO if you are working from 4x5 negs a good Beseler 45 MXT or XL will get you going, for printing up to 20x24. EL Nikkor 135mm or 150mm lens, various trays, and sundries will set you back $500-1000 depending on what you can find. Also, a good enlarging timer with a footswitch really improved my technique and ability for B&D, so spring for that.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Durst enlarger or Devere enlarger are both excellent choices with drop table, I would recommend a 8x10 that has the table combined, they are out there and a lot of printers here use these units.
    They both are floor standing and use excellent Dichroic systems for colour or black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Durst enlarger or Devere enlarger are both excellent choices with drop table, I would recommend a 8x10 that has the table combined, they are out there and a lot of printers here use these units.
    They both are floor standing and use excellent Dichroic systems for colour or black and white.
    Both enlargers will allow you to mask down to 4 x5 quite easily and as well use 150mm lenses and if you ever go to 8 x10 film you have the setup ready to go.