Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a bit of a surprise . . . . .

a bit of a surprise . . . . .

Now here is a surprising image. I was given a half full box of Kodak Royal X Pan, a 50+ year old film, long discontinued (c.1970), that was in essence a roll film and large format version of the ultra-grainy Kodak 2475 Recording Film. Loaded a holder of this Royal X stuff, and shot it during during a still life session I prepared for an assignment for a club I belong to, subject "Tools".

Rated at 1250 ASA by Kodak, because of it's age, I exposed it at ASA 320 and developed it in the same tank as the TMax 400 I was using for the assignment. Didn't know what to expect. Got this! Grainy as all get out, just like Recording film. Will save the remainder for appropriate subjects. Have maybe 20 sheets left.

The image for the assignment, shot at the same time and developed in the same tank in Pyrocat HD, is shown below the Royal X shot for comparison.

Toyo GX, 210mm f5.6 Rodagon, light was two Calumet Travellites with globe diffusers. 1/125 at f22+ for the TMax, f16+ for the Royal X Pan.

Thanks for looking in. I'll be developing the duplicate image in Rodinal. I'll post it in this thread if it's noteworthy. I'd love to see some of your own "surprises" with outdated or unusual films.

Re: a bit of a surprise . . . . .

That's a cool spanner tool.
    --

Gordon, for very old films usually HC-110 dilution B is recommended, to control fog, in case you find the negatives have it.

I used to use this film all the time for low light work. Designed for D-76, straight or 1+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Gordon, for very old films usually HC-110 dilution B is recommended, to control fog, in case you find the negatives have it.
    I will most certainly try that!! I have one sheet left in the holder with a duplicate exposure, and lots of HC110! Image was a bit fogged, and certainly lacked contrast. I did a yeoman's job in GIMP, but at least I know it can be done!

Thanks!

I have used Royal Pan, but not the Royal-X Pan

I have only shown this one about ten times, but what the heck...

Redwood, Dolason Creek, 2012
    Redwood National Park
    Carbon Print

Gowland 4x5, Caltar IIN 150/5,6
    Out-dated Tech Pan Film, rated at 16 ASA -- forgot the date, 20 to 35 years out of date.
    Developed in D-76

Edited to add: Just bought 200 sheets of out-dated Kodak Copy Film (dated 1997 and 1999) to help continue the project the photo below was taken as part of. I used some of Kodak Copy Film in 8x10 last April in Zion National Park...out-dated, of course...has not been made for years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1McDonald Creek.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have used Royal Pan, but not the Royal-X Pan

I have only shown this one about ten times, but what the heck...

Redwood, Dolason Creek, 2012
    Redwood National Park
    Carbon Print

Gowland 4x5, Caltar IIN 150/5,6
    Out-dated Tech Pan Film, rated at 16 ASA -- forgot the date, 20 to 35 years out of date.
    Developed in D-76

Edited to add: Just bought 200 sheets of out-dated Kodak Copy Film (dated 1997 and 1999) to help continue the project the photo below was taken as part of. I used some of Kodak Copy Film in 8x10 last April in Zion National Park...out-dated, of course...has not been made for years.
    That is stunning. I have an old unopened 4x5 box of Tech Pan. What is your ASA rating and development times? Gotta try this. I have a lot of old film . . . I went digital for 10 years, found it wanting, and am back to LF. With a treasure chest of detritus that comes with the territory of being a pack rat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Lucas View Post
    I will most certainly try that!! I have one sheet left in the holder with a duplicate exposure, and lots of HC110! Image was a bit fogged, and certainly lacked contrast. I did a yeoman's job in GIMP, but at least I know it can be done!

Thanks!
    Here you have some tips: https://foundfilm.livejournal.com/16982.html

Vaughn, that is amazing. Seriously? Out-dated Tech Pan? I have a box of Tech Pan 8x10 that was outdated when I got it in a box with other stuff ages ago. I had no idea what to do with it until now. Can you give us a little more information with regard to dilution and time, just to help narrow down testing? I use a Jobo CPP-2. I mix my own D76 and have gallons of HC-110.

You got me all fired up over this!

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post

Thank you!