Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Linhof Super Technika a good camera to start with?

Is this Linhof Super Technika a good camera to start with?

Hello,

New here and new to LF cameras. I've done quite of bit of film but it was years ago, 60's and 70's. Mostly 35mm but I did a lot of Pentax 6x7 too. Matter of fact I still have all my Pentax gear. Anyway I want to give 4x5 a shot even though I'm clueless. I have a lot of patience and more than willing to learn. Landscape is my primary interest but I'm quite flexible. I have the option of buying 1953 Linhof Super Technika but haven't the foggiest what to look out for, other than the obvious, such as the bellows and lens condition. I was hoping that those in the know would suggest some relevant questions to ask the seller regarding his 4x5? It has a 135mm Schneider lens. Seller says it's fully functional and he has used it. The shutter is accurate according to him. The bellows was replaced (not sure when etc.). He has two 4x5 film holders and a Linhof tripod. Are accessories and/or replacement parts that I might need available for this particular model?

Regards,
    -JW:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lin4x52.jpg   Lin 4x5.jpg  

Re: Linhof Super Technika

Quote Originally Posted by ManWithManyHobbies View Post
    Hello,

New here and new to LF cameras. I've done quite of bit of film but it was years ago, 60's and 70's. Mostly 35mm but I did a lot of Pentax 6x7 too. Matter of fact I still have all my Pentax gear. Anyway I want to give 4x5 a shot even though I'm clueless. I have a lot of patience and more than willing to learn. Landscape is my primary interest but I'm quite flexible. I have the option of buying 1953 Linhof Super Technika but haven't the foggiest what to look out for, other than the obvious, such as the bellows and lens condition. I was hoping that those in the know would suggest some relevant questions to ask the seller regarding his 4x5? It has a 135mm Schneider lens. Seller says it's fully functional and he has used it. The shutter is accurate according to him. The bellows was replaced (not sure when etc.). He has two 4x5 film holders and a Linhof tripod. Are accessories and/or replacement parts that I might need available for this particular model? Oh, and what would be a fair price?

Regards,
    -JW:
    That is the Super Technika lll, the factory has had no repair parts or accessories for it for 40+ years! In addition, the most commonly used camera movement, forward lens tilt is not on this camera!

You would be better served looking for the lV which replaced the lll in 1956. Although repair parts are also no longer available from the factory the lV takes current accessories, like lensboards, groundglass, Fresnel, cams, etc. it also has forward lens tilt.

Re: Linhof Super Technika

Welcome to the Forum!

Per Forum guidelines, valuation requests are out of bounds here. That aside, 4x5 cameras are common and generally not horribly expensive. Don't feel obliged to grab the first camera you see - there will be plenty of others worth considering. Spend some time reading the material on the LF Home Page and in the various camera discussion threads that have been posted here, learning about the different types of cameras available and their respective strengths and limitations - please do ask questions if anything is unclear! - and you will be able to make a reasonably informed choice rather than a stab in the dark.

Re: Is this Linhof Super Technika a good camera to start with?

Thanks for the input Bob.

I have been reading the forum but simply didn't know the specific downside to this particular camera, if any. Seems there are many options to look into. I'll probably end up with a Wista N or a Intrepid 4x5 MK3.

I have been reading the forum but simply didn't know the specific downside to this particular camera, if any.
    IMO the main reason for getting a Technika is to use the coupled rangefinder. If you just want to put the camera on a tripod and use the ground glass, a Technika is bigger, heavier and fussier than needed. For context: I own a Master Technika with a set of cammed lenses as well as the grip and multifocus finder, so I'm pretty familiar with its virtues as well as its limitations. But for general wandering-around field work, I prefer my Nagaoka wooden field camera, which folds down much smaller and weighs less than half as much as the bare Technika without grip and finder.

I'll probably end up with a Wista N or a Intrepid 4x5 MK3.
    Those are radically different cameras.

Bob S. is a great resource for anything Linhof.

I would pass on that camera and look for a V. If you want one with rangefinder be sure to get the cam that matches the lens; others here can probably point to sites that explain that better.

(I lucked out and got a V with three cam-matched lenses. I wish you the same good luck.)

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    ... for general wandering-around field work, I prefer my Nagaoka wooden field camera, which folds down much smaller and weighs less than half as much as the bare Technika without grip and finder.
    I assume you mean the Nagaoka Seisakush 4x5. Sure looks interesting and only about 2 1/2 pounds. That would be easy to pack. Much lighter than the Wista N but a different camera too. <g>

I assume you mean the Nagaoka Seisakush 4x5. Sure looks interesting and only about 2 1/2 pounds. That would be easy to pack. Much lighter than the Wista N but a different camera too. <g>
    The weight of the camera is one thing, but the total weight of what you will carry is more important. Another concern is that extra light cameras are more delicate and take longer to settle vibrations down then a heavier model.

"Nagaoka Seisakusho" just means "Nagaoka Factory", which is actually just a hole-in-the-wall workshop in one of the older neighborhoods of Tokyo. Yes, that's the label found on many of Nagaoka-san's cameras.

The 4x5 Nagaoka has been made in varying designs over the years, but all of them are very compact and lightweight.

Yup, a different camera from a Wista N.

So I'll re-state my bias in a slightly different way: if you just want to get a taste of what 4x5 is like to use in the field and whether/how you might enjoy it, my preference for a starting point is for something inexpensive and lightweight. For me, lugging a heavy camera takes all the fun out of this kind of exploration. As always, YMMV.

Re the "it's the total system weight that matters" argument, sure: I can stuff the Nagaoka, compact 135mm and 90mm lenses, a handful of holders, a BTZS hood and a meter into a shoulder bag - don't even need a backpack - and wander around comfortably with that on one side and a tripod over my other shoulder without feeling like a beast of burden. For me, at least, the extra 4 pounds or so that a Technika "costs" puts the kit into backpack territory and materially changes the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Those are radically different cameras.
    I know but the Linhof asking price was $400 and I figured that was a great price for it considering what I saw on eBay (with my limited knowledge).

-JW: