Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: One more question while I'm here - why Large Format?

Re: One more question while I'm here - why Large Format?

Look up Laura Gilpin. She was a large format photographer in New Mexico. She inspires me in my large format photography.

I haven't read every response, so I'll just throw this out to the OP - if you are the slightest bit curious, just give it a try:

An old, usable 4X5 camera - $200 or much less.
    An old, usable 150mm(ish) lens in shutter - $100 or less.
    A few 4X5 film holders - $3 each (give or take).
    4X5 film - $1 a sheet.

4X5 negs make wonderful little contact prints - I like to display mine on little black wooden easels.

Anyway, if it's not for you, sell it all for pretty much what you paid.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

It gets me hot chicks.

Hey Baby check this bellows extension.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    You mention an 8x10 contact printer. Would 2 sheets of 3mm glass do or do you think a proper contact printer helps to get a sharper image
    I use a diy contact printer and light. I attached a sheet of normal 8x10 framing glass to foam core and then put a larger sheet on top with a tape hing. I use a couple of clamps to keep everything flat and tight. Make sure the only thing between the sheets of glass are the paper and neg. Works great for silver gelatin but you would want a box with two large sheets of glass and a couple of UV tubes for serious alt process stuff.

Here is one of my 4x5 contacts. I do a fully manual scan and then set the white and black points and sharpen. I hit a few dustspots and this neg has issuse but this is one of my a diy contact printer print:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clouds Over Marbury Creek sept17th005_1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	182725

Thanks Randy,

could you be more specific as to gear? I.e. what camera/lens can I get for that price? I have an offer for a few free film holders, and know where to buy film. About the only other thing I don't have is a dark cloth and a darkroom (sold mine last winter when I moved, unfortunately, maybe I should have brought it along...)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I haven't read every response, so I'll just throw this out to the OP - if you are the slightest bit curious, just give it a try:

4X5 film - $1 a sheet.

4X5 negs make wonderful little contact prints - I like to display mine on little black wooden easels.

Anyway, if it's not for you, sell it all for pretty much what you paid.

I appreciate all the comments, it's given me a lot to consider. One thing I do agree with is that it would be good to try it out, or spend some time with someone who's using it to get a feel for the workflow. I'm so used to a handheld camera (even when I do have a tripod along), it's difficult to see how working with LF would be in practice.

That said, I'm now based in the Los Angeles area when not in Europe doing projects. Are there any LF photographers around who wouldn't mind me tagging along or hanging out, or going out to shoot (I'll bring along my MF gear)?

Lenses - Looking on ebay, there are many decent modern lenses from Japan sellers - just looking at the 150mm lenses there are some just under / over $100 plus about $25 shipping. I have purchased several from Japan sellers at very reasonable prices in excellent condition and fast chipping.

Camera - best bet may be a monorail 4X5 - they seem to be the least expensive. There is a Calumet 4X5 CC400 listed BIN for $43 + shipping.
    Just have to insure the bellows is light-tight and the camera functions and is not missing any parts.

4X5 film - Arista EDU ISO 100

Dark cloth - black material from the fabric store or an old black T-shirt or dark colored towel.

Darkroom - I use a bathroom which I make light-tight with some tape and black felt - I process film with my trays in the bathtub. Been doing it this way for the past 15 years.

4X5 film - $1 a sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    Thanks Randy,

could you be more specific as to gear? I.e. what camera/lens can I get for that price? I have an offer for a few free film holders, and know where to buy film. About the only other thing I don't have is a dark cloth and a darkroom (sold mine last winter when I moved, unfortunately, maybe I should have brought it along...)

Thanks!
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Working with students, the fastest way for them to dump 4x5 and never look back is to hand them a 20lb monorail case.

If you are taking your camera anywhere, do yourself a favor and get a beater Crown Graphic for $200 or less. Just saw one that looked like absolute garbage but had good bellows and a working lens at an antique store for $150. Would've bought it just to find it a good home except I know the dumb camera collectors and well-heeled amateurs want cream puffs, not users, so I'd have been sitting on it for a while.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Lenses. . . Camera - best bet may be a monorail 4X5 - they seem to be the least expensive. There is a Calumet 4X5 CC400 listed BIN for $43 + shipping.
    Just have to insure the bellows is light-tight and the camera functions and is not missing any parts. . . .
    I believe that one just sold. The description said not fully functional. The last thing a new LF photographer should struggle with is a camera that has problems.

A few years ago in Baltimore, MD, I found an Omega View 45D with a 150mm Rodenstock Sironar N lens for $165. I like using it and the monorail design is easy to use but a little difficult to transport.