Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Dark Slides

DIY Dark Slides

I may need to make some dark-slides for some 8x10 holders I bought that arrived damaged. I have searched the forum and online and have found the following as possible materials, both available from McMaster. Material #1 is Deldrin and material #2 is garolite. Garolite comes in two possibilities, one is electrically insulating and the other is electrically conductive (for 3-4x the price of the insulating). Anyone have any experience with any of these as far as ease of cutting and feasibility in use. If Garolite- is the electrically conductive worth 3-4x the price as far as keeping dust issues with the holders to a minimum? Any experience/advice is appreciated-thx

Eric Woodbury

Re: DIY Dark Slides

If it is a problem, spray them with staticide. I wouldn't spend the extra dough.

Quote Originally Posted by eric black View Post
    I may need to make some dark-slides for some 8x10 holders I bought that arrived damaged. I have searched the forum and online and have found the following as possible materials, both available from McMaster. Material #1 is Deldrin and material #2 is garolite. Garolite comes in two possibilities, one is electrically insulating and the other is electrically conductive (for 3-4x the price of the insulating). Anyone have any experience with any of these as far as ease of cutting and feasibility in use. If Garolite- is the electrically conductive worth 3-4x the price as far as keeping dust issues with the holders to a minimum? Any experience/advice is appreciated-thx
    A DYI in dark slide material is a slippery slope. I tried two different materials of necessary thickness that looked suitable for dark slide material and they both exhibited light leaks on testing. I am defaulting to Intrepid Camera company in the UK as they have both the correct material as well as the capability of properly cutting it to the correct dimensions. When they get a break in their schedule, I believe they are going to do a run of 8x10 dark slides. Ping them relative to your interest.

I’ve successfully tested 1mm thick black ABS / styrene
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

I have heard of Formica sheets used for a replacement dark slide... . .
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    I’ve successfully tested 1mm thick black ABS / styrene
    The material I ordered from National Plastics sounded like a similar ABS/Styrene material. I exposed a test sheet and to the eye it looked at least at first pass as acceptable and I was encouraged to order more material and scale up. Then I had to remind myself that it was really not a scientific test at all. I took a step back and loaded one side of a Fidelity holder with the replacement dark slide and kept the original dark slide on the opposing side. I exposed both sheets to the identical scene and processed then identically and trimmed a corner of the test dark slide so I could distinguish it and initially put the two negatives over a light table and then checked them with a densitometer. I could immediately tell that in certain random areas of the negative a subtle amount of light was in fact making its way through the test dark slide material that was confirmed with the density readings. Glad that I did not scale up on that project. Waiting for Intrepid to fill the billing and then I will load up knowing that all is well. Film costs and a desire to minimize risk at least for me drives this decision.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 18-Sep-2018 at 08:49. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    The material I ordered from National Plastics sounded like a similar ABS/Styrene material. I exposed a test sheet and to the eye it looked at least at first pass as acceptable and I was encouraged to order more material and scale up. Then I had to remind myself that it was really not a scientific test at all. I took a step back and loaded one side of a Fidelity holder with the replacement dark slide and kept the original dark slide on the opposing side. I exposed both sheets to the identical scene and processed then identically and trimmed a corner of the test dark slide so I could distinguish it and initially put the two negatives over a light table and then checked them with a densitometer. I could immediately tell that in certain random areas of the negative a subtle amount of light was in fact making its way through the test dark slide material that was confirmed with the density readings. Glad that I did not scale up on that project. Waiting for Intrepid to fill the billing and then I will load up knowing that all is well. Film costs and a desire to minimize risk at least for me drives this decision.
    Great info everyone- Michael- do you have a contact at or reference point for the Intrepid possibility?- I have looked at their facebook page and see only camera related references there- an email address or reference would be great to know

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 11.23.27 AM.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	182561

Attached above is a screenshot correspondence that came to me when I contacted Intrepid Camera Company about producing dark slides for Fidelity / Lisco 8x10 film holders from the material they showed on their website. This was from April of 2018 so my feeling is that if more interest was expressed it would help the cause. They have the CNC machines as well as the ability and desire to acquire the proper dark slide materials in bulk. Plus the camera company is in business solely to support large format photography which one can clearly see from their web presence.

Michael, that's PR talk. Intrepid 8x10 Dark slide is not happening anytime soon, they're refunding all Kickstarter backers who ordered the dark slides. Also they are running another KS for a Graflarger so there probably no resource to do the dark slides, and they also don't have the necessary machinery. Don't get your hope up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2252812

Eric, just buy another used Fidelity - there's one for $80 on Igor's camera right now.