Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Focal length vs. field of view?

Re: Focal length vs. field of view?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If your film format is rectangular then why use a square compendium?
    I would line this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	182751

but regular ones are squared so you use it for both vertical and horizontal...

Anyway an squared one usually works perfectly, as it can be used to shade well the sky and direct sunlight, then if the earth side is not well trimmed this is not a tragedy, because the lower brightness.

I started using LF in 1962. I have used an old Ansco, Sinar 45 to 810 and Linhof when I had my studio. I have sold Sinar as a rep for EPOI and was Product Manager and Sales Manager for Linhof from 1979 to 2015 and for Wista from 1990 to 2015 and for Rodenstock from 1986 to 2015.

In all that time, using, managing and selling LF your perceived problem never occurred. Not once!

The use of proper material to make a bellows and the pleats in the bellows and the proper finish inside the camera makes this a folk tale!

What is correct in your post is the image circle is of equal importance as fov and, if you use direct or indirect displacements, even more important!
    Bob, on this one I am speaking from experience. Some of the newer bellows are fairly shiny and almost polished. Using a 300mm Nikkor M on a 4x5 with new bellows(eBay) and I got the pleat pattern light reflection on the negative. Switched to a 360 Nikkor Tele and it went away. I was shooting Fuji Velvia and the odd reflections had me baffled. Checked with Fuji Tech folks in LA area and they helped me track it down. If I had not been on the West Coast and processed some film there on the trip I would probably still be wondering what the wierd pattern was.

Shining bright flashlights into the lens with the back off I could see the reflections. More when the light was way off center than near the center of a composition.

Have not run into it with the 8x10. But, that is an older camera with original bellows.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Using a 300mm Nikkor M on a 4x5 with new bellows(eBay)...
    Have not run into it with the 8x10. But, that is an older camera with original bellows.
    Willie,

I'm amazed that you fail to understand the problem.

It starts with 'e' and ends with 'y'.
    Use proper components and you won't have that problem.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Bob, on this one I am speaking from experience. Some of the newer bellows are fairly shiny and almost polished. Using a 300mm Nikkor M on a 4x5 with new bellows(eBay) and I got the pleat pattern light reflection on the negative. Switched to a 360 Nikkor Tele and it went away. I was shooting Fuji Velvia and the odd reflections had me baffled. Checked with Fuji Tech folks in LA area and they helped me track it down. If I had not been on the West Coast and processed some film there on the trip I would probably still be wondering what the wierd pattern was.

Shining bright flashlights into the lens with the back off I could see the reflections. More when the light was way off center than near the center of a composition.

Willie, you get what you pay for, in this case, a cheaply made bellows!

Willie, you get what you pay for, in this case, a cheaply made bellows!
    You are right about that one, Bob. Bought the 4x5 at auction and it had the bellows on it. I prefer Custom Bellows in the UK. They do a nice job.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.