Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Technikardan 45 S

Technikardan 45 S

Dear All,

I have just bought a second hand Technikardan 45 S, the camera is well used but in good shape and it is for me a real
    step up from my previous cameras.
    Unfortunately the bellows are not in great shape, there are several light leaks. To replace it now is not an option for me.
    Shall I just use it covering the bellows with the dark cloth when i put the film in or try to fix it?
    Any suggestion regarding fixing are really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gabriele

Re: Technikardan 45 S

I had the same issue and bought new bellows from Custom Bellows UK for about $180. If you've made the investment in the camera, you really need to get it in proper shape for shooting, otherwise you'll waste a lot of time, effort and expense dealing with light leaks. You will have to replace the bellows sooner or later, so you might as well do it now and be set for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriele Campagnano View Post
    Any suggestion regarding fixing are really appreciated.
    > In a very dark place use a flashlight to locate all leaks, with bellows extended illuminate the inside, point to the corners and inspect from the outside, with your fingers try to separate well the bends of the area you are inspecting, this is straight...

> Take a suitable adhesive and glue little patches cut from a thin (but opaque) dark cloth in the leaks, in the inside of the bellows (for aesthetics), that's all.

IMHO a ($10) suitable adhesive I used is this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	816RGVR0u2L._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	182439

https://www.amazon.it/Dritz-395-Liqu...=Liquid+Stitch

Here is the source where I learned that the Liquid Stitch would be useful, it recommends a more complex procedure:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...chnique.97496/

But I solved my leaks with just gluing patches. I think it's better to use a well opaque fabric for the patches than complicating the procedure by adding layers and paints, in special if you plan to replace the bellows in the futuer. I used a fabric strip that I had cut from my dark cloth, and it worked perfect.

Thanks for the help.

You have a camera with a double tapered bellows that does a swing and a shift, front and back, simultaneously whenever you open and close it. Patching it is not a good cure as it will hinder the opening and closing and will just acquire more holes.

Your bellows developed this problem because someone never learned the proper way to open it and close it! Go to the Linhof factory site and download the instructions, if you don’t have them.

Dave Karp

Years ago, I saw Jim Ormand from Western Bellows spray some 3m Super 77 into a jar until it puddled up. Then he painted it on the bellows and the patch before affixing the patch to the bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Your bellows developed this problem because someone never learned the proper way to open it and close it!
    Destroying the bellows of a Technikardan it's nearly a sin...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You have a camera with a double tapered bellows that does a swing and a shift, front and back, simultaneously whenever you open and close it. Patching it is not a good cure as it will hinder the opening and closing and will just acquire more holes.

Your bellows developed this problem because someone never learned the proper way to open it and close it! Go to the Linhof factory site and download the instructions, if you don’t have them.

As an owner of a TK 45S, I want to thank you, Bob, for this matter of fact warning and suggestion to check Linhof's site for instructions on how to open close/store the bellows so that I get maximum lifetime out of it. ....
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Another vote for Custom Bellows in the UK.

They supplied a replacement set for my TK45 several years ago and they are still perfect.

http://www.custombellows.co.uk

Mike

As quick as it is to take off the bellows on TK45S, I had camera bellows make me a single taper straight bellows out of the Canham synthetic material that I put on a take off before I close it down. I figure it is no different than working with my bag bellows. I purchased a Canham 5x7 zipper case that if fits in perfectly and I put a towel been the standards in the case. Works like a champ. I have a Linhof factory double taper bellows in reserve. Since it is not my main camera I worry that in a rush I might screw up.

Great camera.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 17-Sep-2018 at 08:47. Reason: typo