Thread: specially-built developing trays for 717, 820 film

specially-built developing trays for 717, 820 film

FWIW:

Alan Brubaker emailed me yesterday to say he had five white ABS plastic 8x20 trays available that his buyer cancelled on. I'd have bought them, myself, but cannot do it at this time. They are 5" deep and nest. I assume the 5" depth allows user to place them, literally, butted next to each other without fear of chemical splash from one to another. To have 5 trays within a 4-foot space would be great in my own case (considering my space limitations).

I'm interested. How do I get a hold of this guy?

Daniel,

Alan Brubaker can be reached at:

Awbent@filmholders.com

That would be 5 trays in a 5 ft space not 4 ft. Trays are 11 3/4" wide. I was the one who cancelled on them. Due to the taper on the trays that allow them to nest they wouldn't fit into my sink. Great looking trays though and abs plastic...virtually bullet proof. Allan does great work.

Robert, would you be more specific about the "taper" preventing the trays from fitting. Just curious. Thanks for clarification on dimensions. How much was Alan asking, BTW?

Robert, It probably was my fault but we had a miscommunication problem when I ordered the trays. I wanted trays that would fit my 24x60" ID dimension sink. The taper on each end of the trays where to allow easy removal of the film as you pulled them out of the tray. Allan built the trays with a 23 3/4" bottom but when the taper was added they were a little over 24" at the top and would not allow them to sit down into the sink. the width was perfect just the length was a little over 24". If my sink would have been 24 1/2" wide they would have fit beautifully and I could have eliminated the need to use a table when processing film. That was the goal. The exact dimension at the top I can't remember. ( I'm a product of the 60's and 70's so that probably explains the short term memory loss...lol) They are absolutely beautiful trays and I wish I could have used them as designed. Allan was gentleman enough to take them back as we couldn't figure out who made the communication error. That is why he builds all of my film holders he is a great guy to deal with and his quality is second to none. But give Allan a call and he can give you the exact dimensions. As for price I think they were a little over 60.00 a piece but well worth it. I hope you can benefit from my misfortune it would make your film processing a lot less messy especially if you're using pyro like me.Hope this helps. Good light

Oh yes one other thing. They are 5 " deep to avoid splash in a tight area

Robert, thanks for the info. Very informative. I plan to procure trays after sink installation (which comes after new home construction). No room where I am now.

Good you mentioned that Alan Brubaker does good work and is a gentleman. So often posts cite only higher prices, and never his quality and reliability. Which has value, too.

Are you going to have trays re-done by Alan? No other reasonable options, I guess.

Robert, Yes I will reorder in the near future. Allan is working on three film holders for me at the present. They are only 50.00 more than my Wisner holders but his double light trap design alone is worth that little extra. Like darkroom trays I feel filmholders are a lifetime investment. I'm willing to pay a little more for quality. It's not often you find someone working in + or- .oo3 tolerances in wood. If it is any measure of quality; Ebony has contracted him to build their filmholders for their 20x24 cameras. All you have to do is take a look at one of his filmholders to see what I mean. He will build your holders to match your camera back so you don't need to rout an extra groove (to accept the rib lock) in your new 6000.00 camera in order to use someone elses holders. Like I said his quality is second to none.