Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Thoughts on composition, learning from Ansel Adams

Re: Thoughts on composition, learning from Ansel Adams

OP, here. Back on the subject on which this thread began:
    I have started rereading Bruce Barnbaum's The Art of Photography (1st edition). I recommend his early chapters to any who are interested in thinking about composition. While he discusses the various visual elements of composition, he places them appropriately, in my view, in a most thoughtful discussion of approach to photography. Copies are available for very little; later editions a bit (or much) more. Inter-library loan programs are also a valuable resource.
    Philip U.

Sine scientia ars nihil est.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Best line I ever heard and it is the very first thought I think about as the camera is being mounted to the tripod. “We photographers are charged with capturing a 3 Dinensional world and presenting it a 2 Dimensional Medium”. Dean Collins.
    Dean had many great lines, but I agree that this was one of his best.

[QUOTE=Ulophot;1461337]OP, here. Back on the subject on which this thread began
    Not sure what this line is in reference too, creating depth and dimension in any composition is a fundamental element using spatial relationships, angle of view, lack of objectives merging together especially in black and white. Foreground texture and diagonals are all elements of composition and should command the attention of serious artists working in a 2 dimensional medium.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Steve, no offense intended. The discussion has been characteristically wide-ranging, which is fine. I meant my last post in light of all that, not yours or any one particular one.
    Philip U.

Sine scientia ars nihil est.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

COmposition and the whys, fors and how comes, have interested me for a long time. I have stepped away from the photographers as they seem to all be saying the same thing and I wanted more. I have been paying attention to Painters now and find David Dunlop to be a very good teacher.

This guy has been around for a while but I stumbled on him over the summer. Plus he is the cleanest painter I have ever seen. Not a drop or smudge on his khakis and blue shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLmigaks8iI

Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post
    COmposition and the whys, fors and how comes, have interested me for a long time. I have stepped away from the photographers as they seem to all be saying the same thing and I wanted more. I have been paying attention to Painters now and find David Dunlop to be a very good teacher.

This guy has been around for a while but I stumbled on him over the summer. Plus he is the cleanest painter I have ever seen. Not a drop or smudge on his khakis and blue shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLmigaks8iI
    Very interesting video, thanks for sharing. Interestingly, he speaks of depth and dimension quite often !!

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Very interesting video, thanks for sharing. Interestingly, he speaks of depth and dimension quite often !!
    Kind of why I am looking at learning from painters. Dunlop explains very clearly what I think photographers miss. At least I missed it in their writing if it was there.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post
    Dunlop explains very clearly what I think photographers miss.
    Beyond that BW photographers don't use much color balances, don't think that "photographers" ignore that knowledge or the forks of it.

Some color photographers also may have a Master of Fine Arts, Post-Graduates or Bachelor of Arts, or they have investigated the painter's aesthetics in depth. Also it has to be said that aesthetic rules are there to be broken if one likes it, often producing great results.

Of course I learned a lot with that video, it's really, really interesting, and I think that many would also think that.

And also of course it would be useful for those that take 1500 images in a shooting and think that a creative process can only be about erasing the ugly shots