Thread: The Vernacular of Landscape Exhibition Opening Friday 9/14

The Vernacular of Landscape Exhibition Opening Friday 9/14

Hello Forum,

The book and exhibition Vernacular of Landscape is moving to Usagi Gallery in NYC from 9/14 to 10/19. I will have one photo on display taken with 8x10, you may have seen it before.

More info and Online Exhibition here...

The book Vernacular of Landscape can be purchased HERE.

Hope to see you there.

Re: The Vernacular of Landscape Exhibition Opening Friday 9/14

Congrats! great image, too!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Some of the worst landscapes that I have seen. The wiki definition of "vernacular" is spot on in this instance: A vernacular, or vernacular language, is the language or variety of a language used in everyday life by the common people of a specific population. It is distinguished from a standard, national or literary language or a lingua franca, used to facilitate communication across a large area. It is usually native, mostly spoken rather than written and usually seen as of lower status than more standardized forms. They certainly don't make me want to visit those places! For landscapes I'm more inclined towards the Hudson School of thought and capturing landscapes in that vain is not easy to do.

Thomas

A bit harsh, Thomas, don't you think?

A "landscape" in this context is something in the outside world that you point a camera at and
    make an image of. The question is whether the resulting photograph pleases or intrigues the viewer.
    Whether you would enjoy living in that landscape, or photographing it, is beside the point. If the
    photograph does neither for you, a discreet silence would seem appropriate in my opinion.

I liked what I saw in the Online Exhibition. My congratulations to John Sanderson.

By the way, the word you were looking for was "vein", not "vain".
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    A bit harsh, Thomas, don't you think?

A "landscape" in this context is something in the outside world that you point a camera at and
    make an image of. The question is whether the resulting photograph pleases or intrigues the viewer.
    Whether you would enjoy living in that landscape, or photographing it, is beside the point. If the
    photograph does neither for you, a discreet silence would seem appropriate in my opinion.

I liked what I saw in the Online Exhibition. My congratulations to John Sanderson.

By the way, the word you were looking for was "vein", not "vain".
    Thank you, Joe. Glad you like the show.

Thomas, my view of this exhibition is that it comes out of the landscape studies of social geographers like John Stilgoe and John Brinckerhoff Jackson who studied the built environment to figure out how it reflects society.

Hudson River school is great especially like George Inness' Lackawanna Valley. It blends urban and rural beautifully -- this is something that I actually have tried to adopt to my work. I love average places but also love good light and the suspense it creates.