Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Norway

Greetings from Norway

The whole country went digital like a pack of lemmings a decade ago, I'm probably one of a handful of people who still shoot film around here.

Been shooting MF for about 20 years, first with a Bronica SQ system (after testing it and a Hassy during a weekend on identical shots with the same film, developed at the same lab), which I later sold and went to Rolleiflex (both a System 6000 setup and a TLR).

I've been curious about LF for some time, but never gotten to the point of actually trying it. Rod Klunkas was kind enough to drop by Los Angeles (my part-time home) recently and spend a day with me shooting an Arca Swiss f-line 4x5 camera. Talk about G.A.S..., what an amazing camera!

So now I'm researching, trying to figure out firstly what I want to do with my photography (I'm an amateur, it's a hobby, but I hope to do something more with it), and secondly if LF fits with my vision (once I find it, lol), and if an Arca or perhaps some other camera would fit best with what I'd like to do.

Looking forward to learning what I can from all the experience gathered here.

Thor

Re: Greetings from Norway

Welcome! An Arca F-line is an incredibly versatile camera. The combination of flexibility, light weight, compact size, ease of use, and rigidity is unmatched, in my experience. Other options might surpass the Arca in a couple of areas, but not, in my experience, in all of them. I borrowed one for a couple of months. If cost were no object, I'd use one.
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 7-Sep-2018 at 17:24.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Yeah, the cost has me balking a bit. Although I don't want to make the mistake of buying something that will only serve to frustrate and irritate either. Which is why I'm trying to spend some time to figure out what exactly I hope to achieve with my photography, and why/how LF figures into that.

Are most people here professional photographers (been there done that, loved some of it but far from all of it), or hobbyists? Nothing wrong with either, just curious.

As I'm already accustomed to the costs involved with MF (roll film, developing, lenses, etc), 4x5 isn't really all that much more, aside from the camera itself and a lens or two to start out with.

Some of each, but hobbyists predominate. Like you, I've worked in commercial photography, but currently I'm not doing much of that.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Les

4x5 could be both, expensive or inexpensive....similar with the lenses. Also, lenses is an acquired taste and what sort of look you desire. Much depends on a person whether you wish to use a lighter rig like a 'folder (for hiking, exploring, etc) or a monorail camera that works best in a studio setting. I'm not saying that a monorail can't or shouldn't be used out and about.

If you have a keen eye, you should be able to spot lens look of your choice here on the forum. Lots of examples in "landscape" and in other threads. You can ask additional Q, but be ready for different answers and approaches.

Anyway, welcome to the LF forum, Thor.

Les

Welcome.

Sons of Norway member.

Doubtful I will ever visit Norway although I had a blast with 4 vacationing Norwegians London 2000.

As a hobbyist, LF has been very good for me. I learned it all here.
    Tin Can

As much as I'd like to get an Arca Swiss F-line, a gentleman I spoke with today at an Arca reseller recommended not going that route, but instead starting with something cheaper and simpler in order to get a feel for the format first, so that when/if I do get an Arca, I know much more about my style of shooting and exactly what I want in a camera.

I guess too that I can always use any lenses I get on any camera, more or less, it isn't restricted to the mount as with 35mm or MF.

What do people usually start out learning LF on? I'd like to be outside for the most part, landscapes, portraits, cityscapes, etc.

The old fashioned wooden cameras don't really appeal to me, Graphlex seem primitive and crude (hope I'm not stepping on any toes there), while Linhof prices are high enough that I could just as well get an Arca.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 6x6TLL View Post
    As much as I'd like to get an Arca Swiss F-line, a gentleman I spoke with today at a dealer recommended not going that route, but instead starting with something cheaper and simpler in order to get a feel for the format first, so that when/if I do get an Arca, I know much more about my style of shooting and exactly what I want in a camera.

I guess too that I can always use any lenses I get on any camera, more or less, it isn't restricted to the mount as with 35mm or MF.

What do people usually start out learning LF on? I'd like to be outside for the most part, landscapes, portraits, cityscapes, etc.

The old fashioned wooden cameras don't really appeal to me, Graphlex seem primitive and crude (hope I'm not stepping on any toes there), while Linhof prices are high enough that I could just as well get an Arca.

Thoughts?

What about something from the Chamonix 4x5 line, or the new-kid-on-the-block, Intrepid?

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras.html

https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

Hi Thor, and welcome aboard.

I learned LF using a Graflex press camera about 60 years ago. They are very rugged, designed for daily heavy use by press photographers (no digital back then). I got into MF with a Rolleiflex at the same time.

The standard lens for 4x5 is 150mm, with 127mm or 135mm being common also. I like an f/5.6 or faster to give me a reasonably bright image on the ground glass.

If I may suggest, get any camera body that is available in decent condition, and put your money into the glass. The light never sees the camera body.

A fundamental decision is whether to get a field camera or a studio camera. I have two Tachihara field cameras, a 4x5, and an 8x10 with a 5x7 reducing back. Excellent equipment. I also have Sinar F2 and P2 studio cameras in 4x5 and 8x10.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Les

Without repeating the ones you don't care for, what about: Wista, Toyo, Cambo Ultima (saw on B&H), Canham, Gondolfi, Horseman, Sinar, etc. If you really want to go beyond these parameters, you could build your own from carbon fiber (way lighter)....saw plenty of different materials on Amazon.

Certain lenses have their following and to determine your preferences, you can check this site (and others) to make sure they agree with your vision. Granted, there are other nuances that make the resulting image, but at least that would be a start.

Les