Thread: X-Rite 310 Densitometer

X-Rite 310 Densitometer

I recently purchased a X-rite 310 color densitometer. The unit came with the manual and the calibration chart, however when I'm trying to calibrate it the numbers that appear on the display seem different than what I should be getting. I'm wondering if the problem is me or did I get a bad unit? Anyone have any experience with this densitometer? thanks

Re: X-Rite 310 Densitometer

How different are the numbers from what you expect? How close are they to the calibration chart? Is it an X-Rite? X-Rite says that if properly calibrated, it should agree within 0.02 density units. All of my densitometers (301, 361T & Ihara T5) agree within that range. Also, is the 310 displaying 2 or 3 decimal places? My 361 was initially set up for 3 and it was driving me crazy, so I re-set it for 2 decimal places. Much more reproducible to 2 decimal places. If not, check the calibration procedure on page 2-9 of the manual. Good luck.
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 31-Aug-2018 at 18:28.

I assume you're talking transmission and not reflection. Also, are you measuring for the visual filter?

Sorry, I've been traveling the last few days and have been away from the internet. It is an X-rite 310 manufactured in 1996 with all the manuals and calibration card (which is why I opted to buy this one). It is a transmission densitometer (color). When I go thru the calibration per the instruction the numbers they say that should pop up don't. No it's not even close. Which makes me wonder if I have done something wrong (very possible) or it's a busted unit. i've written the company but haven't heard back. I was hoping someone here has used this specific unit that might have some suggestions. thanks

Is there a reason you bought a color densitometer? Are you printing color or B&W. The only color densitometer I've used was a MacBeth 504 and for a short time a 924. No experience with the one you mentioned. You may want to send it off to Sam Coniglio for a check. L

I bought a color densitometer for 2 reasons; 1) it was cheaper than the 301 which was going for several hundred dollars more on eBay. 2) it came with manuals and caliberation card that the B&W didn't. I was told that for doing B&W readings a color densitometer would be fine. Was I given wrong information?

B&W readings from a color densitometer should equal the ones from the 301's. I just prefer the 301's or the Ihara T5 or T500. Buying used densitometers on the auction site is largely a matter of luck but I can guarantee that 99.9% of the sellers don't have a clue as to what they are selling or if they work. Because of this, I recommend buying them on the cheap, because if they need service, they are expen$ive to repair. L