Thread: Kodak Multi Film Holder (4x5)

Kodak Multi Film Holder (4x5)

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of a Kodak 4-Up Multi Film Holder for 4x5? Specifically, I'm looking for the width and the height from the bottom of the bar where the hanger rests on top of the tank to the bottom of the hanger. Trying to see if I could use these 4-up's in my 8x10 tanks.

Thanks!

Ed Freniere

Re: Kodak Multi Film Holder (4x5)

I can tell they are designed to fit in 8x10 tanks, and that's how I use mine. I'll measure mine when I get home tonight, unless someone else has a quicker answer.

Ed

I don't have any of those to measure, but they were designed to fit into 8x10 tanks.
    And to avoid confusion, film is processed in "hangers"; film holders go into the camera.
    And if you should decide to use them, be prepared to do some careful tests to find the proper agitation method. Surge marks and uneven density around the negative edges are common problems with the 4-up hangers. Perhaps someone here who uses them successfully will share their practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I don't have any of those to measure, but they were designed to fit into 8x10 tanks.
    And to avoid confusion, film is processed in "hangers"; film holders go into the camera.
    And if you should decide to use them, be prepared to do some careful tests to find the proper agitation method. Surge marks and uneven density around the negative edges are common problems with the 4-up hangers. Perhaps someone here who uses them successfully will share their practice.
    Used them for years with nitrogen burst. No problems!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Yeah, sorry, I meant to write "hanger", but I guess my hands weren't listening to my brain! I've used 8x10 hangers for a few years, off-n-on, without any significant issues. Never used the single or multi 4x5 hangers. I'm planning to try the multi 4x5 unit for minimal agitation in Pyrocat-HD. I'm thinking that the issues you've mentioned with these hangers might be minimized due to the gentle, infrequent agitation. Dunno, until I try. If it doesn't work out, I certainly won't have much invested in the hangers.

Thanks for the heads-up, though...

Just got an answer back from an eBay seller with 4 4-up hangers for sale. According to the seller, the film compartments is 8 1/4" H x 10 3/8" W. The compartments are about 1 1/2 - 2" below the crossbar. The tanks I bought from Vinnie are 9 7/8" H inside dimension. If I'm doing the math right, these 4-up hangers are 9 3/4 - 10 1/4" from the crossbar to the bottom of the hanger. If they're exactly 9 3/4" H from the crossbar to the bottom, then I think they'll work; otherwise too high. I guess the actual Kodak tanks are deeper than what I have?

Ed Freniere

Here’s a photo. I use them (as well as 8x10 hangers) in one-gallon stainless 8x10 tanks. They hold up to six hangers and show up on the bay fairly cheap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E3591E9-F1CA-4CC3-8806-7BCF63BA527B.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	182021

Thanks for the pic, photog_ed. I messaged the seller back and asked to get the exact measurement from the bottom of the crossbar to the bottom of the hanger. Answer: 9 3/4" which looks like what your pic is showing, too. Since my tanks are 9 7/8" deep, I should be good. Hopefully, I'll be able to arrive at an agitation method that gets me what I'm looking for. We'll see...