Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tripod for 8x10 newbie

Re: Tripod for 8x10 newbie

I agree with the Craiglist suggestion, especially where you are. There should be a lot of good choices.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Burke & James made a "Portable Studio Stand" which was just a really simple wooden tripod with a very simple and basic front tilt wooden head platform. Paid only $25.00 for mine years ago. Have seen them lately around for around $50.00 which is a bargain.
    These are indeed serviceable tripods. However, they have peculiarities. The 1/4x20 screw extends about 3/8 inch above the platform. That was fine for some B&J cameras that had a tripod screw socket recessed instead of being flush or nearly flush with a camera's bottom as specified by ASA long ago. Many modern cameras have tripod screw sockets that aren't deep enough for the B&J tripod. The solution is simple enough. Carry appropriate shims to place between the camera bottom and tripod platform, or place an appropriate bushing on the tripod screw below the platform. The almost 7 inch wide platform is better for many cameras than the itsy-bitsy platform (or worse yet, tiny quick change adaptors) that plague some otherwise good tripods. To bring a large camera almost up to eye level for tall photographers, the B&J lower leg sections have to be completely extended, reducing stability.

I have been looking on craigslist. I responded to a ad for a Majestic for $75 which would have been perfect, so I set up a time to meet and when I got there he said he couldn't find it, then I had to fight the Boston traffic to get home. Was not happy.

ACK..if you get that movie tripod..you'll then need a 120mm ball head adapter in the very least

which ain't cheap

get a majestic - they are made for big cameras

Yes, get a Majestic tripod and the large platform Majestic head which matches the C1 base.

The large base is nearly 6X7 inches. The C1 needs this much support. I think they were designed for each other.

Also, make sure the head has the 3/8x16 OE screw, it is spring loaded. Hard to find separately. I bought the last new ones...

Another caveat, buy the head and tripod together as there are mismatches.

Lastly, check the head for smooth tilt in both directions. Some have been damaged. Somehow!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Very cool idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    So these 2 pieces, the tripod and 1/4-20, will work? Does these tripods go down low? I didn't see a min height on it on the specs. I'm guessing to level it its just playing around with the legs?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    These are indeed serviceable tripods. However, they have peculiarities. The 1/4x20 screw extends about 3/8 inch above the platform. That was fine for some B&J cameras that had a tripod screw socket recessed instead of being flush or nearly flush with a camera's bottom as specified by ASA long ago. Many modern cameras have tripod screw sockets that aren't deep enough for the B&J tripod. The solution is simple enough. Carry appropriate shims to place between the camera bottom and tripod platform, or place an appropriate bushing on the tripod screw below the platform. The almost 7 inch wide platform is better for many cameras than the itsy-bitsy platform (or worse yet, tiny quick change adaptors) that plague some otherwise good tripods. To bring a large camera almost up to eye level for tall photographers, the B&J lower leg sections have to be completely extended, reducing stability.
    I filed down the 1/4x20 screws it extends less than 3/8" above the platform. Also the lower metal leg sections could be ordered from B&J in almost any length (not mentioned in the catalogue) back then. Mine are actually quite longer that the ones pictured in the catalogue. George Tice used this same tripod under his Deardorff 8x10.