Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod for 8x10 newbie

Tripod for 8x10 newbie

I came across a deal on a Calumet C1 with a Dagor 10 3/4 and 4 film holders for cheap money ($321 inc tax) but I need a tripod and don't want to spend more for the tripod than the camera. I want to stay under $100 so it can be ugly but functional. I just want to dip my toe in right now to see if it's something I would like to continue. I have a Manfrotto that I think will support 14 or 15 lbs but the head is not as much. Would it be too risky to use the legs I have now as long as I only extend one section of the legs and maybe get a head that will hold the camera weight. I think the total weight with lens and holder will be around 23 lbs.

Re: Tripod for 8x10 newbie

You need a rugged tripod for that camera. On the cheap you could use a surveying tripod with no head. But if you invest in a used Ries A series for much more $ you can always sell it when you're done with it or be done with buying big tripods.

Remember, in the old days cameras were often mounted directly on the tripod without a versatile head. It works today, too.

Get a Ries, but get either the Model A-100 or the J-100-2 depending on which one you find, and a Ries or a Majestic head. Unfortunately, it will cost more than the camera did. You can often find Majestic tripods and heads at the auction site. Get one with a 3/8" camera screw! L
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 29-Aug-2018 at 09:36.

Burke & James made a "Portable Studio Stand" which was just a really simple wooden tripod with a very simple and basic front tilt wooden head platform. Paid only $25.00 for mine years ago. Have seen them lately around for around $50.00 which is a bargain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tripod.jpg  

Is it the green magnesium version, or the black non magnesium version of the C1? If the latter, it's a heavy camera that needs a heavy tripod. I'd be inclined to poss on both.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsydog View Post
    Davis and Sanford floating action model B.
    It will handle the camera nicely and if patient close to your price range with an appropriate head.https://www.flickr.com/photos/daveelmore/8898811576/
    Just be careful when you release the lock on the vertical shaft and keep your head back from it when doing so. It has enough punch to knock out a heavyweight fighter.

Another vote for the surveyors tripod. You can get them at places like Home Depot and Lowes. I posted about an adapter platform for mine that supports the whole camera. Very stable and steady.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post781366

I'm with desertrat on this. A machinist friend made me a beautiful 1/4" thick aluminum adapter for a survey tripod. If I had read desertrat's post earlier, I would likely follow his design.

BTW - a heavy duty Zone VI tripod was a cheaply modified wooden surveyor's tripod. Way over-priced.

Les

Happen to have one of those survey tripods....and willing to give it away. You can probably stand on it or use it to change oil :>). But, shipping it to your neck of the woods will cost about 1/2 as much as your
    810 rig. Yeah, the stinker is heavy.

Les