Thread: Thanks for having me

Thanks for having me

I experimented a bit with LF photography back in the 1980s, graduating from class Nikon to medium format (C330), then trying LF with a venerable Calumet 4x5, and later that year a Toyo 45 field camera. Didn't amount to much, but got a taste for it. Many years later, I returned to photography when digital came out, and I kicked around a few forums. Got back into large format with a vengeance, took a hiatus for 2 years because of a stroke and complications, but am back, healthier, and now I use my DSLRs only as exposure meters or trip stuff, and pretty much spend most of my time in the field with a 4x5 Linhof, a Linhof Color, and a 5x7 Gowland Pocket view. These are shown below. I shoot other formats as well, but less rather than more at this point.

I do some studio work with a Toyo G57 and a Toyo GX in 4x5, and have just gotten into trouble with a move up to 8x10. I recently also bought a 4x5 and 8x10 Intrepid field cameras, and will use them to further confuse my life!

I have too many cameras (I collect), too many lenses (collect these, too), and and a haphazard sloppy kind of photographer because I never know what I'm doing, but I have fun! And once in a while I produce a worthwhile shot. But I'm basically here to learn.

I'm a professional symphony musician by trade, and have been concertmaster of 3 orchestras. I'm now retired from playing, teach and conduct a large regional amateur orchestra in Prince George, BC. I mess around with photography as much as I can. See you all around the forum.

Re: Thanks for having me

You're very welcome! You're not the only one who shoots pure for the fun of it!
    Paul
    I own the gear, but those don't make masterpieces. My everyday experience.

Welcome!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Welcome Gordon!

Mike

Welcome. We’ll share the fun of LF.

Welcome!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Gordon, to me, leading the first violins section it's the most challenging position in a symphonic orchestra. That's a position that cannot be improvised, I guess. I think that technically it's the most critical position, an the basement that allows the art to flow.

A Symphonic it's something incredible, I simply don't understand how such an amount of talent can be gathered and, amazingly, how those 150 incredible musicians are coordinated in their expression.

Always I try to learn a bit about classic music, now I'm trying to understand a bit better the voices of different kinds of soprano... so still I've a lot to learn.

but I guess I know enough to realize how challenging it has to be mastering the concert.

Let me make a forecast, beyond having fun with the view camera, you are to craft great images.