Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinar Norma CLA, Europe?

Between here and there

Re: Sinar Norma CLA, Europe?

Thanks for the switch idea, Dan. Will look into that if I need to - didn't think of that angle.

I am doing a very basic cleaning at the moment, and things are looking promising this far.

Pere, could you clear out your notifications box? I am trying to send you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    ...Since it is a 5x7" and it is the rear standard that's stiff, I can't just go buy another part ...
    Jimi, can you be a bit more specific as to which movements of the rear standard are stiff?

Pere, could you clear out your notifications box? I am trying to send you a PM.
    I've cleared messages, it was full, sorry, I was not aware...

You can send it now

Between here and there

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Jimi, can you be a bit more specific as to which movements of the rear standard are stiff?
    At this point it is only the shift that feels a bit jumpy/stiff. I've cleaned some gunk off, and it is much better, but not "buttery smooth" as the Leica dudes would say.

At this point it is only the shift that feels a bit jumpy/stiff.

See the plating inside, marked in green, you should lube there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sn2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	182217

The shift mechanism is not difficult to disassemble and properly clean. It is the Microdrive focus mechanism that is extremely time consuming and difficult to clean and lube. You can take the slide mechanism apart and completely clean in a couple of hours. You have a 5x7 and Philip had a 4x5, they may seem to be different mechanisms, but they are one in the same. If you are handy you can figure it out. If you like I will pull my 5x7 rear standard and take a look at how it is held together.

I would suggest electronic contact cleaner, it dissolves the crud so you can remove it. And a toothbrush and q-tips. If need be move up to acetone to remove stubborn dirt

-Dan
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 9-Sep-2018 at 05:58.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Between here and there

Toothbrush - that is one amazing invention!

Seriously though, I am making progress (if somewhat slowly). The biggest thing that I really regret ... is that I didn't get down to doing this earlier. It's already a different user experience when I don't have to wrestle with the camera controls while trying to keep check of the image making.

Thanks for all suggestions, gentlemen!

I am not going to try to fix this camera myself, since I know from the guide that Philip Morgan did (would love to find it again) that it is no easy process, and I don't have the right tools anyways. I really love the camera but it is sitting mostly on the shelf since it is a bit too stiff.

We'll see what happens ... I've been in contact with Glenn - he had no leads in Europe. I'll continue looking.

Since it is a 5x7" and it is the rear standard that's stiff, I can't just go buy another part ...
    Hello,

You should try Photo Suffren. In middle of Paris. They do have the knowhow and Sinar spare parts.

https://www.photosuffren.com/

Jérôme

Between here and there

Thanks for the link, Jérôme - I'll keep it in mind.

Seriously though, I am making progress (if somewhat slowly). The biggest thing that I really regret ... is that I didn't get down to doing this earlier. It's already a different user experience when I don't have to wrestle with the camera controls while trying to keep check of the image making.
    Jimi,
    Amazing how dirty inside they can be, right? I have bought some truly awful ones very cheaply, they always clean up ok. Persistence is the key, don't squirt the dirt, but remove it, and then -lightly- lube with the right stuff.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain