Thread: Tmax 400 in trays with Xtol dev.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Tmax 400 in trays with Xtol dev.

Alot of the posts about this developer seem quite old so I'm looking for more recent results.
    I use 8x10 Tmax 400. I use trays to process in. I was planning to try Xtol either 1:1 or straight.
    The Kodak time listed for 1:1 is 10 1/2 min. at 68 degrees.
    I'm looking for suggestions with this new to me developer.
    Should I use distilled water in the city?
    Should I let the developer sit for a couple days after mixing the powder?
    If I use 11x14 trays I usually mix 3 L of developer and process six sheets at at time.
    Should I increase development time by 15% for the second/third batches?... or do I have do discard the chemistry after one use?
    Other helpful ideas are always welcome.
    -Rob Skeoch

Hi Rob.

Kodak's website has all the information you'll need. That's the best part of using a commercially made developer, and since you've paid for it, you might as well take advantage of it.

Jay

Dear Rob,

Because of the limited or no print magnification for 8x10 there is very little advantage to using Xtol straight other than the ability to do multiple batches in the same mix (the time compensations can be found in the data sheet as Jay noted). Well, thinking about it, it does reduce developing time too.

I always used distilled water and always mix powdered chemicals up ahead of time and let them set. Why? It makes me feel better. :>)

If you like you can e-mail me for a copy of an old data sheet with starting points for dilutions of 1:2 and 1:3. However, you will have to adjust the times for the new films.

I use distilled water to mix developer solutions and then dilute with distilled. I think it is the most controlled way of working within reason. This may be overkill for diluting to working solutions. Mix it and pour it into glass bottles full to the top. Once you get a system down you might even go for some bottles that hold a "dose" of developer for your standard procedure. This makes it real simple, fast and easy to work. I bought a box of 125ml bottles and consider each bottle full a dose for 80 sq. ins. of film. When mixing working solution my procedure is to dump the bottle and then fill and dump with water 3 times (for 1:3 dilution) to make the working solution. I use as many bottles as needed for the film area I'm developing.

Xtol is a very inexpensive developer to use and I only use it one-shot. I've used 400 TMax in 4x5 and tray developed in Xtol, usually diluted 1:3. For each sheet of 8X10 you should use 100ml of stock - no less- without regard to dilutions. (I use 125ml per 80 sq ins. - I believe in using plenty of chemicals to get the job done. No point in scrimping, this is the cheapest part of making pictures.) So for six sheets you'd want 600ml of stock Xtol and 1800 ml of water = 2.4 liters which might be a bit thin to shuffle six sheets. If you need more volumn in the tray just keep the proportions the same - 800ml stock Xtol gets you to 3.2 liters which should be great for your 11x14 tray. I'd like this additional stock developer situation. You might be able to find some 400ml bottles to make up doses for your procedure. Just remember they need to be full to the top when stored - for best shelf life which can be as long as a year if you are careful.

So with Xtol costing about $10 per 5 liter pack and you running it one-shot for six sessions you'll be spending about $1.75-2.00 including distilled water for each run of six sheets, or about $.33 per sheet. Pretty cheap and very safe and consistent in terms of using a certainly adequate amount of developer per sheet and overall working solution in the tray.

If you use lots of developer you can buy Xtol in 50 liter kits - cheaper still!!

I recommend using distilled water to mix your stock and tap water (if it's okay) if you are going to dilute. I've always used the developer right after mixing. The small amount of particles that later dissolve into solution is so minimal I wouldn't worry about it. I personally would never develop six sheets of 8x10 film in a tray at a time. I think that is rushing it. What's your hurry? Develop one sheet at a time and minimize the risk of scratching, uneven development, mottling, etc. Also having your fingers in the developer can raise its temperature. Pretty hard to get consistent results, too...and do you want your fingers soaking for that long? (unless you wear rubber gloves, but boy is that film ever slippery in the developer).
    Xtol and Tmax 400 is a wonderful combination especially diluted to 1+1. But don't think that diluting is just for economy it isn't especially at higher dilutions. The more dilute the developer, the more it'll effect the films tonality. Tmax 400 is unique in this regard. Experiment a bit and see for yourself.