Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Types of Film Holders

Types of Film Holders

Is there a page somewhere that gives an overview of the different types of film holders (Regal, Fidelity, etc.)? I am interested only in the double-sided type and not Polaroid or Gramatic backs. If there is no such page, can someone give a quick rundown of these brand names and their differences?

I need to do some shopping for holders (mainly 8x10) and I don't really know the differences among them. I do know that I don't like holders which have a metal top to the slide. I prefer the plastic.

Re: Types of Film Holders

If we all decide to call one brand and design best we may be killing the market.

I do think a thread that allows us to discuss all the historical and current production glass and film types would be interesting.
    Tin Can

You should bare in mind that for a good part of their life, up to the liquidation of their parent company, Calumet. Fidelity, Lisbon and Riteway were all made by the same company in Hollywood.

"View Camera" magazine published a comparison test of the common film holders c.1992 or '93. Perhaps that article can be found if they still have a website, or perhaps someone has a paper copy still. (My copies are in storage 2500 miles away.)

As I recall there wasn't much difference between the brands; the old wooden Graphic holders were surprisingly good. I'm sure at this point that the physical condition of the holder is the most important thing. Remember that no 8x10 holders were cheap consumer plasticrap... they were all designed and built for a demanding professional clientele.

(I've used plenty of worn wooden Eastman Kodak and Graphic holders... modern Lisco Regals and Riteways are much easier to use, but I never had a film flatness or unsharpness problem with any of them. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe contact prints are more forgiving.)

My main concern is to find holders that do not have a metal handle on the dark slide. I have both 4x5 and 8x10 holders where this metal handle has slipped off. It is rather difficult to fix them and I wonder about their reliability after this happens. I guess it is just age that causes it but I really do prefer the plastic handle on the dark slide, and so I would like to know which holders are which in order to do a proper search.

If you want plastic for 8x10 with plastic slide tops, the newer Lisco Regal II will fill the bill.
    I'd suspect the Fidelitie Elites are just like Lisco Regal II except for the name, as Bob Salomon mentioned they were made in the same factory
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

IIRC, both Lisco and Fidelity are no longer in production. Maybe someone could verify this?
    There is a Japanese brand that all the cool kids seem to be using these days, but I don't remember the name.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

As Mr. Salomon mentioned, all three popular brands (Lisco Regal, Fidelity Elite, and Riteway) were made in the same factory, which in modern times was owned by Calumet. I assume that the factory closed when Calumet went under (if they hadn't already shut it down). Luckily for us, there are enough holders to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    IIRC, both Lisco and Fidelity are no longer in production. Maybe someone could verify this?
    There is a Japanese brand that all the cool kids seem to be using these days, but I don't remember the name.
    Fidelity,Lisco and Riteway all were liquidated along with the parent, Calumet, USA.f

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The brand are Toyo.