Thread: Bergger NB VC Glossy and PF130

Bergger NB VC Glossy and PF130

To celebrate Photography Day I tried a new-to-me paper and developer combo. I have long used Ilford MGFB Classic Glossy with LPD 1:2 for a neutral to warm image and have been happy with it. Recently I switched to Photographers Formulary 130 (PF130) for a slightly more neutral tone when using Ilford MGFB Classic.

But wanting something a little different I tried the Bergger NB paper with PF130 at a 1:2 dilution. The first thing I noticed was that the image came up in the developer in just a few seconds. Then the Blacks were noticeably rich and darker than MGFB Classic.
    With a few experimental sheets I find that the Bergger NB paper requires about a 1/2 contrast grade less than the Ilford paper, and about a third stop less exposure on my head. After drying, the Bergger paper appears colder/bluer in tone and the shadows are not as open as the ilford paper. However the midtones and highlights maintain good separation. The glossiness is about the same between the two papers but the bluishness of Bergger catches the light a bit more.

The dilution of the PF130 diluted 1:2 had little to no effect on the Ilford tonality compared to a 1:1 dilution.

A few months back I tried the Bergger CB warmtone paper and found it to be slower than the Ilford products but with about the same tone. It worked fine with LPD 1:2 and had a nice soft warm tone and sepia toned easily to a nice rich brown.

I'm curious is anyone else has a similar or contrasting experience with this paper or a different result with a different developer. I shoot a lot of water and dark rocks and this paper gives me a darker look that I sometimes want.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: Bergger NB VC Glossy and PF130

Interesting!

I've got three boxes of Bergger CB and some PF130 that I'm building up to use – I'm wanting to experiment with this combination to avoid that greenish tone that you often get when using warm tone papers with certain developers, but with that lovely ivory base of the Bergger.

I found the Bergger NB paper to be lovely, but with too cool a white point for my tastes. Beautiful depth etc., just a bit cool.

I'll report back!

Here is an example of the color tone difference of two prints, same exposure and grade 3. Prints scanned at the same time and unadjusted except for Crop and sharpening.

The bergger indeed seems significantly faster and cooler than the Ilford. Cooler and faster seems consistent with me, as larger grains will require relatively less exposure ad will yield a cooler tone. Maybe I'll try this paper one day.

Looks similar if not identical to the results I got from the NB paper. Really nice paper, just a bit too cool for my tastes, at least with the work I was doing at the time. This became most evident to me when I matted and framed the prints, as I choose a cooler tone matte to match better the whitepoint of the paper as not to compete with it.

I've been printing with Bergger Semi-Gloss CB this week with PF130, and can confirm it's a beautiful combination. Beautiful tones and image depth. Before I finish my printing for my show, I might develop the same image in Ilford MG Paper Dev to see if there is actually a difference or the PF130's superiority is all in my head....

I am predicting your results with Ilford MG will be flatter/duller in the mid tones and highlights, and slightly warmer in tone overall. Looking forward to your results as the Bergger papers do not get talked about much and they seem to be a quality product.