Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the air like between Sonoma and San Francisco?

What's the air like between Sonoma and San Francisco?

Any bad smoke from the Mendocino Complex fire? Enough to make a hiking trip unhealthy?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

What's the air like between Sonoma and San Francisco?

I’m in Kenwood right now, 10 miles SE of Santa Rosa. Slight haze down the Valley. It was definitely worse yesterday. I’d say it is OK for hiking ~ sort of a 7/10. Evening photos of overlapping ridges will be good for photography at least!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Re: What's the air like between Sonoma and San Francisco?

Drove from Hayward to Eureka this morning. Smoke was thick and unhealthy-looking higher up on the tops of the mountain/hills. If it settles down to ground level it will not be fun.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

In the last few weeks I spent a lot of time in Marin and back/forth to the east bay and have really noticed the bad air quality a lot. It can change dynamically based on wind and weather conditions so I usually check the informative web site airnow.gov to get an idea what I am dealing with day to day.

Les

John, I see the index shows 156 for where you live, 55 for Bay Area and 74 where I is. Pretty funky all around.

Les

I'll wait until the fire is out then. Thanks for the info!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

There has been unusually dense fog for this time of the year on the coast, more reminiscent of June or July than August. Really magical light up in the cloud forests on Mt Tam, Pt Reyes etc - practically raining under the trees. Quite cool today on the Bay but with just a tiny bit of smoke mixed in with the fog. An onshore flow is expected to blow all the smoke away from the Bay by Tues. Further north it's a different question. They're contending that it's not only Calif smoke involved, but also from fires as far north as OR, WA, and even southern Canada being piped down by the pressure front. Again, this is due to change imminently. I wouldn't wait. The fires around Clear Lake could go another month, and then more might start up. Oct is usually the worst fire month. The Sonoma coastal areas should be fine; and the air in Marin has been quite good. Inland cities like Santa Rosa or Walnut Creek have poor air, but that's almost routine in summer.

This wind vector map for the Bay Area may be interesting (or not).
    http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwher...2&timeoffset=1

Drew Wiley

Evening update : expect so-so air inland, including the wine country, at least another day. The coast itself should be fine.

Thanks! It looks like my plans now will have to be postponed until mid October, which should at least keep me out of the Sierra for a good part of deer season.