Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery camera

Mystery camera

Hello everyone.

I have inherited what I guess is a vintage 4x5 dry plate camera, and as a fairly basic 35 mm shooter I am completely out of my depth! Can anyone please help me figure out what this lovely beast is? I've attached several photographs to illustrate.

The 6 inch f4.5 Ross Xpres lens lens is fairly common and has a pretty good reputation it seems, c.1920s
    (link) Information on coverage of Ross Lenses

That size lens was apparently made for 4x5, hence my making the assumption on the plate size.

The leather box that the camera came in says the London Stereoscopic & Photographic Co. with both Regent St. and Cheapside addresses on. Box is a bit of an odd fit so I'm not convinced that it belongs to the camera.

I've been told that the shutter going up to 1/1000th makes the camera a bit younger than it might be? Don't know the dates though.

So, there you go. Hopefully people here enjoy a mystery as much as I do!

Thanks

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8186750.jpg   P8186733.jpg   P8186731.jpg   P8186736.jpg  

Re: Mystery camera

Thornton Pickard press camera?

Foamer

Closest match I could come up with the the VanNeck press camera:
    https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/vanneck/page2.html

Note that your camera has a focal plane shutter. That dramatically narrows the search.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Mike.
    I'd ask in a couple of places, if you haven't already.
    http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...front_page.php UK based film only site, with a few camera collectors around.
    Also:
    http://www.londonstereo.com/contact.html

The original London stereo company is long gone, but a new outfit fronted by Brian May (of the band Queen) is working to promote Stereo imaging. They seem to be very interested in the history of LSC, so whilst your camera isn't a stereo camera they may know something of its history.

Thank you for your thoughts everyone.

So far this is what various people have suggested:

Quarter plate Thornton Pickard All Weather Press Camera, made between 1912 - 1920 approx. based upon details of the shutter, it being a version of the Ruby.

The lens serial number apparently puts it in the 1930s, so presumably not original to the camera.

Colin, when I get a bit more time I will follow up your suggested sources.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeUK View Post
    I've been told that the shutter going up to 1/1000th makes the camera a bit younger than it might be?
    Camera's with these kind of focal plane shutters were made as from about 1895 (Goerz Anschütz) - and they had already high shutter speeds (the German Deckrullo counted up till 1/2800 sec - although it is assumed that this was only in theory the max available speed).
    I had a look in my 'Michel Auer Guide to antique cameras: your camera is not in there. Good look with the search.

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Camera's with these kind of focal plane shutters were made as from about 1895 (Goerz Anschütz) - and they had already high shutter speeds (the German Deckrullo counted up till 1/2800 sec - although it is assumed that this was only in theory the max available speed).
    I had a look in my 'Michel Auer Guide to antique cameras: your camera is not in there. Good look with the search.
    Thanks Ron. I got the shutter speed suggestion from a friend who does not know very much about these kinds of cameras, but to be fair he turns out to have been pretty close with his initial age estimate. I think that the opinion about the age of the shutter on another forum may have been based upon the furniture attached to the shutter, e.g. the dial etc. as it changed over time.

Mike

My first guess by looking at it was a Goerz Anshutz, however a simple google search of "strut camera" showed a rather substantial variety, that is where I guessed it was a Thorton Pickard Press camera, all the dials and the distinctive front all match.

The chromed trim and bellows reminds me of a Zeiss product.
    But the Ross lens says no way.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewch59 View Post
    My first guess by looking at it was a Goerz Anshutz, however a simple google search of "strut camera" showed a rather substantial variety, that is where I guessed it was a Thorton Pickard Press camera, all the dials and the distinctive front all match.
    Yes, I did have a reply that congratulated you Andrew on your accurate educated guess, but for some reason it did not arrive on the forum. There seems to be quite a variety even within these TP cameras, and they were often modified. My example seems rather basic in comparison so I wonder if it is missing a few things like the wire composing frame(s)?

Mike