Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery camera

Re: Mystery camera

Quote Originally Posted by choiliefan View Post
    The chromed trim and bellows reminds me of a Zeiss product.
    But the Ross lens says no way.
    I see what you mean. As I mentioned above, these cameras are said to often be modified so I would not be that surprised to find alterations to permit other manufacturer's lens.

Most photographers have large collections of lenses that they use depending on circumstance, portrait, landscape etc. I am not surprised this has a well reputed Ross lens on it.
    Anyhow, now that you have it, perhaps you will be tempted to put some film through it??

(Shrek)

I've had a T-P Ruby Reflex, this isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewch59 View Post
    Most photographers have large collections of lenses that they use depending on circumstance, portrait, landscape etc. I am not surprised this has a well reputed Ross lens on it.
    Anyhow, now that you have it, perhaps you will be tempted to put some film through it??
    I must admit that the more that I learn the more that I am being tempted away from the selling it option, but it is a big step up from where I am with analogue photography. I.e. little more than point-and-shoot as a kid, returned to it this year and so far have shot four rolls of 35 mm and got them commercially processed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I've had a T-P Ruby Reflex, this isn't one.
    Thanks Jody. Yes, the T-P Reflex does look quite a bit different from the T-P Press Camera. I'll leave it to the experts to say whether they share the same shutter.

Similar to an ICA Palmos. Perhaps a newer tricked-out iteration by Zeiss-Ikon?

I vote for a German import - London Stereoscopic were big importers for "own brand" cameras. Mounting a uk lens on the continental camera was standard practice, both before and after WW1. There many German camera makers pre ICA and Zeiss-ikon consolidations and catalogues often showing drawings of shutter controls that are somewhat different than the real thing! i'll have a look through some pre WW1 catalogues.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeUK View Post
    Thanks Jody. Yes, the T-P Reflex does look quite a bit different from the T-P Press Camera. I'll leave it to the experts to say whether they share the same shutter.
    I serviced the shutter on my Ruby Reflex. It was quite distinctive, self-capping with a combined winding/speed set dial located under the camera; the entire shutter assembly slid out the back of the camera by removing a few screws, making for incredibly easy servicing.

In operation, the Ruby Reflex shutter is incredibly smooth and whisper-quiet, and quite resembles a Barnack shutter. So much so that I speculated at the time that Oskar Barnack was heavily influenced by the Ruby Reflex shutter when he designed the iconic Leica 35mm camera.

Perhaps a clear photo of the back of the camera may shed some more light on the search....

btw I also thought about the Van Neck press camera, since its shutter controls a very much alike, however the belows and struts are completely different...

<edit: >

Quote Originally Posted by andrewch59 View Post
    Thornton Pickard press camera?
    I think you nailed it perfectly: http://www.presscameras.org/thornton.../tpickard.html

My Flickr

So sorry to have left this thread in limbo for so long! Here is the photo of the back that you asked for Ron. I agree that Andrew nailed it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8186740.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	203983