Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Saltzman

Re: More Saltzman

Reality is that many 10X10 enlarger chassis became available in the last 2 decades without heads, condensers or neg carriers.

I believe those essential parts were snapped up by active users leaving newbies, like me to rescue the chassis and DIY the rest.

I still remember my father building me a Dark Closet when I was 7, so I could develop Minox, but he denied me an enlarger as just foolishness. Even if I worked and paid for it myself. That was 1958 and i didn't process my own film again until 1998. Minox Contact prints are useless to a person that didn't get glasses until later that year.

Rosebud is my enlarger collection.

Now I have my hobby.
    Tin Can

The unfortunate reality is that even a simple Beseler enlarger and head, new, costs north of $3k. It's hard enough for us younger folks to get into silver printing. I can't imagine what a new Durst or Saltzman (high-end) enlarger would cost these days. Digging through old scraps and picking up bits and pieces to make a complete system is hard, if not impossible for many. I could've walked right past your carrier there in an antique store and been none the wiser.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Guilty as charged. The first Durst 138 happened during the mid-1990's when optical printing of film was common. Back then a good used Durst 138 with a single negative carrier and modest set of condensers cost $1500 plus shipping. Good deal back then.

In time as the print process became digital a huge number of excellent enlargers got pushed out to the curb by Foto labs that were closing. Few of these excellent enlargers found a home with an Foto enthusiast. Today it appears most have been scrapped or canalized for various bits.

During the enlarger dumping era, ended up with a spare 138 head, a full set of 138 enlargers and storage cabinet, several negative carriers and a LOT more. I'm so fond of the Durst 138, they will burry me with it. Moved to a new place recently and the plan is to build a darkroom from scratch. All the bits are in storage including the Durst 138, Arkay sink, temperature regulating water control panel with filtration and more.

Seems optical printing in a darkroom these days has become a mostly oddity in the world of digital printed images. Yet, there is a special quality a GOOD optically printed silver gelatin print that is special...

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Reality is that many 10X10 enlarger chassis became available in the last 2 decades without heads, condensers or neg carriers.

I believe those essential parts were snapped up by active users leaving newbies, like me to rescue the chassis and DIY the rest.

I still remember my father building me a Dark Closet when I was 7, so I could develop Minox, but he denied me an enlarger as just foolishness. Even if I worked and paid for it myself. That was 1958 and i didn't process my own film again until 1998. Minox Contact prints are useless to a person that didn't get glasses until later that year.

Rosebud is my enlarger collection.

Now I have my hobby.

I always used glass carriers for 8X10 until I bought my Beseler 45VXL810 enlarger which came with the unique Beseler 8X10 glassless carrier. It uses the property of metal expansion to stretch the negative as the aluminum carrier warms up in the head. Like Randy, I use the Negaflat for 4X5.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    The unfortunate reality is that even a simple Beseler enlarger and head, new, costs north of $3k. It's hard enough for us younger folks to get into silver printing. I can't imagine what a new Durst or Saltzman (high-end) enlarger would cost these days.
    One particular Saltzman, mine, would cost you nothing but gas money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    One particular Saltzman, mine, would cost you nothing but gas money.
    That's a 2000 miles round trip. 32 hours drive.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    That's a 2000 miles round trip. 32 hours drive.

Ach, a weekend road trip in our old days.

+ the burly helpers + having a place to put it. Seriously, someone go get Jac's enlarger!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    + the burly helpers + having a place to put it. Seriously, someone go get Jac's enlarger!
    Peter knows moving a Saltzman. He was the Force and Strength in moving the one I got. Thanks again Peter!

Which is the smallest of the 8X10 Saltzman. The main tube is heavy all by itself, later I removed the 140 Lbs of lead inside it, so I could see why it was so heavy. The tube is still heavy empty. There are much bigger and heavier Saltzman.

I know some of us have seen the video of moving a bigger Saltzman in one piece, in and out of a box truck. Insane.

I believe they should be fully disassembled before moving.
    Tin Can

Jac, I may yet take you up on that. I have to have a space planned for it. I have heard you guys talk about headroom issues. My basement is about 8ft plus two more in the unfinished subfloor area. Also, I don't think it'll fit in my Camry .
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome