Thread: Question about Linhof Kardan Super Color (sub)model

Question about Linhof Kardan Super Color (sub)model

After starting out with wetplate photography, I remembered that I have still a 4x5“ Linhof camera in the basement. It was a gift but I really never got around using it since after photo school I pretty much switched to digital or analog medium format at the most.

But now I really want to use it again - for film as well as wetplate since this would be (along with a RB67) the only camera with aperture for wetplate which can be quite useful in some instances.

I really need a new bellows for it and more lenses so I wanted to start up reading about the camera, if it is compatible with other models etc pp to know what lenses and bellow to buy. But I have a problem identifying the model.

As you can see it reads Linhof Kardan Super Color. But when I google for it I see that there a several sub models. The problem is that the rail looks like from a 45s (https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024932@N08/22007953398) but the screws etc look like the normal Kardan Super Color although the rail doesn’t fit (http://linhof.com/wp-content/uploads...uper-Color.jpg).

Does it matter anyway? Or is the only difference apart from the color the style of the rail? And is that system compatible (bellows, lenses/lensboards) with any other system?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails linhof.jpg  

Re: Question about Linhof Kardan Super Color (sub)model

You have the original Super Color, except for things that mount directly to the rail, like an intermediate standard, it accepts all accessories made for the Kardan B to the current Kardan cameras. The only exception would be the bellows from the E. It also accepts all Linhof back viewing accessories, including the Fresnel lens for all Linhof cameras from the Technika IV till today.
    The only thing to watch out for is if you buy the small compendium, it must be a Kardan version!

Just to be clear, your camera does accept the intermediate standard and rail clamp for the B but not the ones for the later cameras that did not have a round rail. But the accessories that fit to your rail have been out of production since the late 70s when the JBL was introduced.

Re: Question about Linhof Kardan Super Color (sub)model

Thank you for your quick answer :-). A great starting point to look out for gear!