Thread: Ilex Universal No. 5 shutter issue. Stuck in "open" focus mode. Suggestions please?

Ilex Universal No. 5 shutter issue. Stuck in "open" focus mode. Suggestions please?

Greetings. I have a No. 5 Universal shutter whose stop down lever (the lever that opens and closes the light baffle leaves when you toggle from focus mode to shutter release mode) doesn't seem to be doing it's job. The leaves remain in the open (focus mode) position whether the lever is up or down.

Suggestions please?

Re: Ilex Universal No. 5 shutter issue. Stuck in "open" focus mode. Suggestions plea

Bite the bullet and send it out for repair. It's at least forty years old, maybe seventy, and obviously needs maintenance. SKGrimes used to have pictures and information about Ilex shutters on their site; take a look there if you're tempted by the DIY bug. Don't 'soak it in lighter fluid' as some people will tell you.

Re: Ilex Universal No. 5 shutter issue. Stuck in "open" focus mode. Suggestions plea

I'd send it to either the Camera Wiz or Flutot's.

L

Thanks Mark.
    The shutter was CLA'd just a few years back.
    Adam at Grimes is now working only on Copal shutters these days, due to part shortages on Universals.
    He might be able to fix it if it doesn't require parts.
    I'm also waiting for a response from Flutot.

Just thought maybe someone out there might have had the same issue and could suggest something to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Bite the bullet and send it out for repair. It's at least forty years old, maybe seventy, and obviously needs maintenance. SKGrimes used to have pictures and information about Ilex shutters on their site; take a look there if you're tempted by the DIY bug. Don't 'soak it in lighter fluid' as some people will tell you.

Do or do not. There is no try.

I read on the Interwebs that Frank Marshman (Camera Wiz) has a good supply of parts. It's alleged he bought out all the old stock. I've never asked him about this, but he's worked on several Ilex shutters for me over the years.

Thats good info.
    Thanks Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    I read on the Interwebs that Frank Marshman (Camera Wiz) has a good supply of parts. It's alleged he bought out all the old stock. I've never asked him about this, but he's worked on several Ilex shutters for me over the years.

Steve, from what I'm reading Frank is no longer doing repairs.
    I trying calling the number I found (540-867-9671) but "mailbox is full".
    Do you have a good email for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyman View Post
    Thats good info.
    Thanks Steve.

I used to send things to Camera Wiz- but Mr. Marshman closed that business some years back. I remember that he was doing repairs on his own, but I've had nothing for him in a long time, so I don't know if he's still working. I'd mentioned SKG for the taken-apart pictures of Ilex shutters, and the pithy comments that compared them to 'two-dollar alarm clocks' (as I recall). Ilexes are pretty simple as such things go... but working on them is far beyond my skills and clumsy fingers. I'm sure you'll find someone to repair yours, but can't offer any real help.

I will be sending it off to Carol Flutot : )

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyman View Post
    I will be sending it off to Carol Flutot : )
    Carol does a great job, she's returning an Ilex 5 of mine tomorrow. L