Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ries Jr tripod with 8x10?

Scott Davis

Ries Jr tripod with 8x10?

Will a Ries Jr model tripod be sturdy enough to handle a Gitzo 1570 low-profile pan/tilt head and a Calumet C-1 8x10 camera?

Scott,

Ries makes in decending order of weight/sturdiness, the A, J, H, and C series. In my experience, heavy 8x10s would need at least the J100-2 legs (4-1/4" crown) and larger (A-series). The regular J-100 legs didn't seem as rigid (more flex) as my 1348 Gitzo CF legs although they would likely support a heavy 8x10. The J100-2 legs seemed about right for Deardorff-weight cameras and are a nice size. IIRC, there was a picture of Cole Weston using a C-1 on a Ries A-100 that ran in "View Camera" for quite a while, so he apparently thought the A-100 was the right size for a C-1.

I would not use a Ries tripod with a 2" crown for a C-1 . Also, the Calumet is a pretty heavy camera and will get top heavy on a small tripod. FWIW, I'd use the Ries head.

Steve

Scott,

This may help:

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/498206.html

Steve

I used to own a j 100? or 200 I no longer remember for sure. it had a 2 section lower leg portion which screws together. I used it with a sinar f1 very successfully, I think I would look for a heavier tripod for a tripod for 8 x 10,

I have no doubt that the J-100 would support an 8 x 10 in fair conditions, but for wind and other issues I would go for heavier answers.

BTW independently, that ries as I believe others are superb for difficult set ups as the legs will lock at ANY angle!

Having owned both a Calumet C1 and a Ries Jr. Tripod I can comment here - the tripod will handle the load fine - no issue there. The problem you may have is that the top of your Gitzo tripod head may not be -wide- enough to accomodate the C1 "foot" (?) - the foot of the C1 has a center mounted tap for the tripod mounting bolt, but only makes contact with a flat surface at the four corners of the foot - you might find that without an adapted mounting surface (on either the tripod or the camera) that the camera will only contact the tripod head at a couple points and will not be secure (i.e. it will "spin" side to side easily). You will likely require a full ~6" x 6" mounting surface to get all four corners of the C1 camera foot to make contact with the tripod head.

Scott Davis

The Gitzo 1570 has a HUGE platform, and I have already put my C-1 on it successfully. On my aluminum Bogen 3036 it is rock solid and does not pivot or flex. The Bogen has the downside of having limited leg-angle spread, HEAVY weight (about 10-11 lbs), and since it has a center column, it is prone to wobble when the center column is extended more than a few inches. I want something lighter and more comfortable to drag around than the Bogen.

Re: Ries Jr tripod with 8x10?

A J-series will handle the load fine but I would still recommend an A series for 8x10". I have a J series for my 4x5" and an A series for my 8x10". However, if I could only have one tripod, the J series would handle the job.

Used the J600 combo for years - light, reasonably stable and a very easy carry broken down but like any tripod short of big and heavy it was a tad rubbery. I'm not too good on my feet these days so I use the A100-2/250-2 because it often must hold up the 8x10 PLUS ME. The J600 isn't designed for that.

The A-stuff is Godawful heavy, worth it's weight in gold, but certainly no trekking pod if that's the mission. &•}

Bruce

When conditions dictate going light, the J --sans head---will handle my 8x10 Deardorff just fine, but a Deardorff isn't a C-1. A heavy camera on a light (I won't say "lightwieght"---the "J" isn't all that light) tripod isn't much fun between being top heavy and IMHO more prone to wind and vibrations. If you're strong enough to cart around a C-1 I'd think the extra few pounds of a Reis "A" should be a piece o' cake!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

if you add a 1/8" thick piece of aluminum to the mounting bracket of your C1, it will work just fine, a 6-32 countersunk head screw in each corner works wonderfully.

erie