Thread: Hello From NL

Hello From NL

Just started the adventure of analogue full format photography, have been photographing for about 8 years now using digital camera's.

I just acquired a 4x5 Cambo Technical camera (studio version) but will use it in the field as well, it came with two nice lenses:

1 Rodenstock,Sironar 5,6/240 mm.
    2 Schneider Super Angulon wide angle 8/90

Ill use my digital camera with tele lens for spot metering light. I hope I will be able to judge focus right since Im used to digital zoom 100% for super accurate focus, which luxury I wont have in analogue of course.

I plan to develop myself and then get them scanned by an external party, since I will probably shoot max 10 shots a month with this camera the first couple of months.

I like the slow proces of shooting and forcing you to really think a shot trough on analogue and the extremely high resolution one can get from full format.

Hope to post my first results soon

Maarten

Les

Re: Hello From NL

With an appropriate magnifier, you can have accurate focus results with your analogue rig. Anyway, welcome to LF forum, Maarten.

Les

Hi Les,

Thanks for the advice ! I hope to shoot my first shots next weekend, just a bit worried about loading the film in the dark. But will ask for some help.

Maarten

Loading in the dark is easy if you have the space to lay out everything before you start. Sacrifice a couple of sheet (as much as you need to fill your development tank) and practise in the light a few times. Load the holders, then inspect, load the tank and inspect again. Then close lower the light and look up, then close your eyes and lastly practise in the dark a few times. Repeat until you feel sure. Always with those sacrificial sheet. Take a coffee between each session of practise. After an afternoon you'll do fine. You just have to make a ritual of it.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Les

+1. Indeed, the more you practice (even in the daylight) with those sacrificial sheets, the more experienced you'll become.....and things become much smoother. This may be bit obvious, but make sure you mark those exposed sheets, so you can easily identify....and be certain you'll not attempt to develope those. He he. Good luck and enjoy the LF process.

Les