Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which enlarging lenses should I keep?

Which enlarging lenses should I keep?

I have a bunch of enlarging lenses and would like to know which I should keep and which I should sell. I have a 45MX enlarger and 6x6 and 4x5 cameras.
    Componon 135mm f5.6
    Componon-S 150mm f5.6
    Componon 150mm f5.6
    Fujinon-ES 135mm f4.5
    Componon-S 150mm f5.6 small version
    Apo-Gerogon 150mm f9
    Apo-Ronar 12in. f9 not sure if this is an enlarging lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6331.jpg   IMG_6332.jpg   IMG_6333.jpg   IMG_6334.jpg  

Re: Which enlarging lenses should I keep?

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    I have a bunch of enlarging lenses and would like to know which I should keep and which I should sell. I have a 45MX enlarger and 6x6 and 4x5 cameras.
    Componon 135mm f5.6
    Componon-S 150mm f5.6
    Componon 150mm f5.6
    Fujinon-ES 135mm f4.5
    Componon-S 150mm f5.6 small version
    Apo-Gerogon 150mm f9
    Apo-Ronar 12in. f9 not sure if this is an enlarging lens.
    Neither of the Apo lenses are enlarging lenses. They are both process lenses. The Apo Ronar was used on horizontal process cameras. The Apo Gerogon was a wide field process lens for vertical process cameras. So those should be the first to go.

Assuming that your enlarger is properly aligned and you are using a glass carrier, which of the others gives you the best results? That is what you keep.

None of them are best for 6x6. They are all for 45.

Drew Wiley

The Fuji 135 would be the pick of the litter for MF if you have a tall enough enlarger, but a bit shy of ideal for 4x5, though certainly usable. You might want to keep the Componon S 150 too.

I'm a big fan of the Componon-S for their temporary-open-aperture lever and lighted aperture readout. Optically does the job well too.
    Have not tried Fuji.

Drew Wiley

I'd suspect the Fuji to be a bit better corrected. Componon S improved upon the Componon, and once held a high reputation. But just like prize fighters, somebody younger and tougher came along. Schneider marketed its own premium HM lenses,
    with a higher price point, of course. In my case, I really prefer longer than "normal" enlarging lenses because they have little or no falloff in comparison to normal ones. For quite awhile I used a 180 Rodagon for printing from 4x5 chromes. And the reason I now mainly use a 150 is simply because the Apo Rodagon N series doesn't come longer than 150, and its exquisite tonal rendering in my current black and white work makes it an exceptional choice. For my 8x10 negs I use Apo Nikkors, better still, but not available in shorter focal lengths. However, I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over these kinds of things unless there is a specific application which warrants it. There are plenty of decent choices around.

I'd keep the componon-s 150, and one of the 135mm.

The 135mm can be useful for 4x5 if you are to enlarge a crop, or if wanting small prints from 6x6.

The 135 can also be useful for 4x5 if wanting to compensate fall off from the taking lens, a negative shot with a 65mm (without center filter) has thinner than expected corners, so the higher fall off of the 135 may help compensate that.

...but to enlarge 6x6 you may want a lens around 80mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I'd keep the componon-s 150, and one of the 135mm.

The 135mm can be useful for 4x5 if you are to enlarge a crop, or if wanting small prints from 6x6.

The 135 can also be useful for 4x5 if wanting to compensate fall off from the taking lens, a negative shot with a 65mm (without center filter) has thinner than expected corners, so the higher fall off of the 135 may help compensate that.

...but to enlarge 6x6 you may want a lens around 80mm.
    Pere,

The fall off with a wide angle camera lens can not be compensated with an enlarging lens. The wa lens fall off means the film has less density at the edges of the film. Fall off with an enlarging lens means less density at the edges of the print. Only a center filter or dodging will compensate for the fall off.

You can't try them to see? Otherwise my guess is to keep the 80mm Componon-S and the 150mm Componon-S. Those are the the two I use.
    I have two of those 80mm f4 new style Componon-S lenses, one has clearer glass than the other (after cleaning both). So you really do need to test them to see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 6.44.29 PM.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	181554

Yes, I saw that when I rechecked his post!